Chapter 12

~Danielle's POV~

I pack everything that I could. I pack all my clothes in a bags while my shoes and many of the books I could get into wooden boxes. I am more careful with the ones that mean the most to me in the boxes. Once I am satisfied with everything, I go to the kitchen to get myself some water. I see Jake putting his bags down by the door as I walk pass by.

"So, this is it huh?" He said out loud.

Jake looks at me with sadness written all over his face. I couldn't help but feel sad too.

"At least we have each other." I reassured him.

"They would have wanted us to be together, anyways." Jake said sourly. "Come on. Get your things and then we gotta go."

Jake opens the door and walks out. I look around our house one last time, wondering if I'm going to be able to see it again. Everything I ever known will be gone...

I let out a breath and grab all my stuff out the house after a minute of just standing in the living room, seeing if I can just avoid leaving but I know better. Once I am outside and putting my bags and boxes down, I saw Jake talking to Brent. Relief fills me as I see my best friend okay. When Brent looked away from Jake and saw me, he yells my name out and runs towards me like a crazy person. He wraps his arms around me and picks me up. He then starts to spin us around, making me dizzy.

"Put me down, you idiot." I laughed.

"I'm not an idiot." Brent said as he puts me down.

The little happy air disappears quickly and is replaced with a sad one.

"I'm going to miss you."

"I'm going to miss you too." I said, caressing his arm in comfort. "Did you get in trouble?"

"No, just from my mom." He answered. "Your brother just told me the prince wants y'all to leave. Did you get exiled?"

His tone goes down to a whisper for the last part, even though no one was really outside.

"No, we didn't," I said, "but it's complicated."

"I guess you don't have to marry me after all, huh?"

Brent's face saddens even more. The reality for never going to see me again must finally got to him.

"You don't know that. I still might have to." I said. "I guess we'll see when I ask."

Even though I didn't want to marry him, I feel bad now knowing Brent won't be happy with someone else...and that makes me sad.

"I do love you, Brent. You are my best friend and that will never change."

I give him a hug... a hug that will probably be the last we'll ever have. This makes me hugged him tighter. I don't want to go, but I have no choice.

"Yes, but I love you..." Brent's voice cracked, "I actually love you while you only love me as a friend."

His voice wavers. While still in the hug, he looked at me with sad eyes. His eyes are glassy. He looks like he is about to cry, but his pride won't let him. This breaks my heart.

"It's enough for now." I said.

I kiss his cheek. Brent closes his eyes before doing the same to me. I go to say my goodbye to my best friend, to my house, and to the only life I knew...

I walk to where Jake was at, near the end of the town where there is a carriage waiting for us. A man who is our driver takes our luggage and helps us into it.