33- Forget Me

Evelyn

Three people, dead because of me.

One almost was as good as it.

They weren't hurt, they weren't wounded, they were dead.

Dominic said it wasn't my fault, but even deep down he knew that it was. I was the gain and Detra was on the hunt, and they wouldn't stop searching until their precious weapon was back between the tips of Grant's dirty fingers. Detra didn't care how much blood was shed. They didn't care about the lives of their men. They only wanted one thing, and Detra always obtains its desires.

Selfish? I couldn't rip the thought out of my mind after Dominic placed it in there. Would it be selfish of me to give myself to Detra. With me gone, the troopers would stop looking for me, and the Rogues would be safer. The homeland will never be found, and there will be no more fighting. But if only it was that easy. Dominic was right...it would be selfish to turn myself in.

Your mind isnt a prize, it's a weapon. Cities will burn, people will suffer, and Detra will flourish, overtaking every city in the state, all thanks to the power your mind possesses. You're our golden ticket to becoming an empire.

The reminisce of Grant's words chilled my body. If I were going to turn myself in, the Rogues wouldn't be the only ones who suffer. I didn't know the full capacity of my power, but I thought it was best that I didn't. Who knows what I was capable of? What are the possibilities? Like how I compelled Gemma the other day...I felt so awful for doing that. I was only curious, that's all. Though the guilt I felt afterward wasn't worth it. It picked at my stomach with a hook, clutching my morals. How would Dominic feel? Angry would be an understatement.

I just wished he understood. That he could grasp how awful it was knowing you're a breathing monster. I remembered what Gemma said about her powers, Rather than the blessing it should be it feels like a curse...I shouldn't be able to do this Ev...this isn't right, it's not natural. My feelings held similar to hers. What I could do was not natural. It was unbelievably unnatural. It still didn't feel real, if someone would've told me a few weeks back that there were people among us who bore these bizarre abilities, I would have commended them insane. Then again, if someone told me Detra was drugging and controlling their citizens, I wouldn't have been so surprised.

I wanted to find Celeste, or even Kyler, I just needed to talk to somebody who wouldn't make me want to rip my hair out of my head. I just couldn't listen to Dominic any longer, if only he could have heard the thoughts that ran through my head every minute of the day he remained asleep. Please stay alive. Please wake up. He looks so beautiful asleep. I wonder what he's dreaming about? Does he dream about me? Probably not.

Dominic was still an unsolved mystery. Every day that passed the more questions boiled under my skin. The one that irked me the most, was the enigma of who stabbed him in the woods. Before Gemma put him to sleep, he muttered on about killing that bastard. I couldn't stand hearing him speak like that. I hated seeing the peak of darkness that grew inside of him.

I entered the training spot to find Celeste agerily tossing knives at a target, Kyler snug against a tree with a book in his hand. I was almost afraid to approach Cel, the knives in her hands were angry. As I quietly approached, Kyler lifted his head from his book and tossed me a soft smile, "Good morning Evelyn."

"Hey Ev." Celeste said, her gaze steady on the aim of her throws.

"Dominics awake."

Celeste seized her sling in seconds, her dark eyes wide as she casted them at me. Her lips upturned in excitement, the little gap in her teeth shining like a diamond. "Really!"