23- Five Hours

Evelyn

It was 7 a.m : seven hours until we would arrive in Detra.

It was an early morning, but that gave us all day to prepare for the heist. Waiting seven more hours felt like waiting seven weeks,my anticipation kept me on the edge of my seat.

Cassian and Lani got me up, and we ate breakfast outside the dining hall so we could further discuss our plans without letting anyone else hear. If Theo found out what we were doing...he'd have all our heads on a rake. I didn't understand that though, one way or another people were going to notice when a group of new Immunes showed up the next morning. I knew Theo would not be happy about it, but we were willing to face him after the plan went through. Assuming it would be successful.

I hadn't seen Dominic since last night. I couldn't help but wonder if he was purposely tying to avoid me. Did he regret kissing me again?

Stop overthinking Ev, it's only 7am. The days hardley started.

Kyler and Celeste were also nowhere to be found, but Cassian assured me they'd all be back soon. Cassian shoved a piece of bacon in his mouth and glanced at Lani. She gave him a sly smirk, then they both looked at me impatiently, like they were waiting for me to say something.

I lowered my lips from my coffee mug and shifted my eyes in confusion, "What?"

They glanced at each other again, then shot their gazes back at me. Cassian leaned in forwards in his seat, I thought if he'd scoot any farther he'd fall right out.

"Why are you guys looking at me like that?"

"Ohh nothing." Cassian blushed and waved his hand

"Really." My expression filled with annoyance

"Oh, Evelyn" Lani leaned forward "Don't hide it."

"Hide what?"

"Sweetie..." Cassian rolled his eyes, "..We are about to risk our lives tonight going back to dreaded Detra and entering the unfathomable Chamber, and you haven't been able to knock a smile off your lips since you woke up."

I was smiling? I didn't even notice, though ever since last night, my body had a different feeling to it. The feeling wasn't bad, not at all. In fact I really enjoyed it. It was just...warmness. I guess it put a smile on my face too.

"I'm...uh, just happy we're going to try and save those people in Detra, that's all."

"Oh please Evelyn, what do I look like to you, a fool?"

"Don't answer that question Ev." Said Lani

Cassian rolled his eyes, and Lani rolled hers back. Cassian and Lani were the most unlikely of friends, they'd never miss a good argument or a hurtful insult to throw at another. If I didn't know them, I would have mistaken them as enemies rather than best friends.

"Anyways..."Cassian continued, " ...Dominic had the same look on his face when I saw him earlier. A smile on Dominic is rarer than a male Hexer."

" You saw Dominic!" My eyes lit up. I knew Cassian and Lani could see the worry in my face.

"A-ha!" Cassian glowed, "I knew there was something between you two!" He glanced over to Lani, "Didn't I tell you Lan, I knew it!"

"No, I told you first!"

"No way!"

They barked at each other as I held my hand to my cheek. My skin felt like coals of a firepit, the color of rose blushing in my face. I wasn't trying to hide anything, I just wasn't quite sure what was between me and Dominic. He was either crossed or spilling out his feelings, it made my mind tangle with confusion. But whatever happened between us last night...it felt real.