27- Power

Evelyn

"Your mind isnt a trophy...it's a weapon."

A weapon. My stomach felt sick, his words digging through my chest like a knife searching for a heart beneath my skin. I didn't understand. I didn't understand any of it. I felt uneasy.

"I...I still don't understand."

"You will." Grant sneered a venomous look.

"Grant,"  I craved answers. There had to be someone more...something more to me. "What...what  am I?"

Grant smirked, studying my urging expression as if I were just a variable in his experiment. Though maybe I wasn't a variable at all...maybe I was the experiment.

"Anytime a baby is born, we have to check their brain waves to  test their Immunity. Most Immunes aren't born as one, they just fall out of control after a few years. Though in rare cases, the test can spot Immunity early on. The day you were born, was the day Detra saw how valuable your mind was. Not only did your test show signs of Immunity...but also showed something else...something peculiar."

Grant paced around the room, shooting slight glances to the doctors who were carefully stepping inside, gradually beginning to come closer to me. I shifted my eyes to try and find Kyler...but out of all the troopers in the room, he was impossible to spot. Though the room was filled with people, I felt so alone.

"Your brain showed signs of telekinetic waves.  A rare birth defect. This type of psychokinetic brain activity has only ever been found in five people ever in Detra. Meaning you, are very special Miss Kane."

"Telekinetic? As in-"

" -A psychic ability allowing a person to influence a physical system without physical interaction." One of the doctors holding a note spit out. "People who obtain this power are called Kinesics."

"Thank you. Doctor Hishmoka." Grant nodded at the man, then turned his vile eyes back at me, "Not only can you control people like a hexer, but things as well."

Was I dreaming? My mind couldn't wrap around what I had just been told. He's messing with me, I thought, this can't be real.

"No..." I shook my head, rubbing my fingers on my temples, "...No, I--I can't do things like that...my mind doesn't work like that. Youre test is wrong. You're wrong. I'm not what you think I am."

"Oh but," Grant stalked up to me, wrinkling his nose up to my eye, "You're more than what I think you are."

"I don't believe a word you say. Check your test again Grant, I'm not special. I'm not anything."

"Alright Evelyn," He stood, his back straight, chest pointed at me, "I can show you your mind's different."

"Then do it. Show me."

Grant shifted his eyes to the side, a tall woman with silky blonde hair and intoxicating sapphire eyes that caught my attention, entered the room with a timid stride. She was beautiful, one of the most beautiful women I've ever seen. Her hair was an ash blonde, almost silver. Her figure was slim, perfectly shaped around her small curves at her hips. Her facial features looked like they were painted on by an artist, and her eyes...they were stunning. I was ashamed of even being in the same room as a woman who looked like that. Then I remembered what Kyler said about women like her... she's a Hexer.

"Adelaide!" Grant snapped his finger, calling her name like a pet.

My pulse charged as she walked closer. Her darling face held a  nervous look, as if she dreaded the thought of what she was about to do. I couldn't help but feel nervous as well. Though I was more than nervous...I was frightened. How could I let someone who looked so lovely scare so much? I didn't want my mind messed with...especially by someone like her.