31- Breathe

Evelyn

As much as I wanted to incite the protesting voice that was bottled in the back of my throat, to trail soundlessly behind so he wouldn't see me following, to simply ignore his plea and do what I wanted, I listened to his words. Dispute my deseraite feelings to go...I stayed.

Dominics words had snapped a shackle around my legs, causing my body to remain in an immovable place, halting my feet from following him. Why was I listening to him? He held no hierarchy over me, but yet I still felt forced to remain still.

Dominics eyes had a different look to them. His blue oceans were imploring, a hint of worry mixed with determination. He wasn't asking me to stay, he needed me too. It made me even more uneasy then I already was, so I decided that it was best to listen to him for once.

I made my way back to the courtyard, hoping I'd be able to meet up with Gemma again. My mind still had a hard time wrapping around the reality of her being here. Her being Immune. I was so brought back by it. Every beginning memory I could dig of Gem never tied to her being Immune. She was a high advocate follower of Detra Gov. Everytime I showed just a bit of distrust, she was left in dismay. Why would you ever question the government. A perfect society for perfect people, she would say. Was it all an act? I didn't know what to think of it all.

"Ev!" I felt a touch on my shoulder, and I turned around to see the auburn red haired girl behind me.

"Gemma!" I replied, a bit in shock. "I was--I was just looking for you."

"Evelyn what's going on? Why were their bells ringing? And...and Celeste left. She said it was an emergency."

Do I tell her? Would it scare her? I didn't want to make her think the troopers were there for the Immunes. They've all been through so much, I didn't want to add another worry to their plate. "I'm not sure. I think there's trouble in the woods."

"Oh." Gemma exhaled in relief. "Well I hope everything will be okay."

"Ya...me too." I couldn't help but think of Dominic. He used so much breath begging me to stay I hadn't anytime to ask  him the same. Why did I care what happened to him? Just a few weeks ago he wanted to plunge a rake through my heart, but now...but now? Now I wasn't sure how he felt, nor I myself. After that night on the roof, all the hate between us seemed to turn into something else. Something more. Do you care about him? I wanted to swallow it back, but I couldn't suppress how I felt. Yes.

"Ev..." Gemma's voice softened and she held her head down, picking nervously at the skin on her fingers. "...I need to set things right with you. About everything. It wasn't fair of me to make you feel the way you did knowing I felt the same. I was just so confused about what I was feeling that a doubt to Detra still didn't seem right, even though I had many.  I scolded you because I-I was afraid."

"Afraid?"

"I was afraid that maybe you knew about me, and that you were just trying to get something out of me so I could be arrested. I know it sounds ridiculous, and I know you're my best friend, and I should have trusted you, but I just couldn't find myself trusting anyone after learning about my powers."

"You're powers?" Confusion crashed over me like a wave. Did she just say powers?

Gemma's eyes widened, her mouth clamped shut, holding her tongue so she wouldn't say more. Her lips parted slightly, "Uh...ya. My Immune powers, you know."

I knew by the shakiness in her tone and the catch in her breath, that she was lying. Gemma was always a pretty good liar too, but this was an obvious bluff. The unimpressed cast painted on my face ripped through Gemma like a blade.