34- Don't Look Death in the Eye

Dominic

The light of dawn seeped into my room, I rubbed my bleary eyes and gazed to my side. Evelyn's head rested next to me, her body curled under my arm. The golden fingers of the morning sun reached out and brushed the soft features of her face. The glow that lit her features made her even more beautiful than she already was. I know I shouldn't have been  watching her sleep, but she just looked so...peaceful. Her body lifted with each breath I took, her hand rested on my chest and her head laid under my arm.

I wondered what she dreamt about. If it was good. If it was bad. If she even dreamt at all. I wished I could have kept her like this forever, an amity without a single fret or worry. It wasn't fair that the world was so cruel, that moments of peace only existed within dreams.

I tried my best not to wake her as I crept out of bed. I pulled my shirt over my head, and glanced in the mirror. The wound on my stomach was invisible. Not a line nor scar lay in its place. Before, there was an outline after she healed it, now I couldn't even point out where it had been. My skin was bare and soft, untouched. My doubts about her abilities still ran through my head, though I tried my best to shut them out. There was still a voice tormenting me in my mind, bellowing don't fall for her tricks. You're walking into another trap.

No. No I'm not, she's not like that, I thundered back. Evelyn filled my mind, my body, having her was something I scolded myself for. I still believed she merited finer. I would promise to grant her better, though I had no idea what I could give. I should be content with her world, but in all honesty even I feared her enemies. The people who were after her were not people who would stop looking after a single fight. They would search and search, because she was vital to their plans. And their plans were a necessity.

I shook off the thought, but it still lingered in my head, the idea of Detra taking her placed a pit in my stomach. Don't worry about that now. I opened the door to leave the room, quietly so she wouldn't be shaken from her sleep. I looked at her one more time before I left. Her silky brown hair scattered on the pillow, I could sense the feel of running my fingers through it. I yearned for more of her touch, the press of her warm skin against mine. Though I still felt guilty for some reason. I couldn't rid what she said to me. Forget me Dominic.

I questioned if I did something wrong, If maybe she didn't want me. But she kissed me first.  At the moment I was too captivated to be confused. Though now, I was a bit perplexed. She kissed you, remember.

I left the room, feeling contrite for leaving her alone, but I needed to find Theo. The attack in the woods was no secret, and It was my duty to speak to him after an event such as that. I made my way to his office, the icy air hitting my skin before I even opened his door. I knocked my fists on the wall and he gestured for my entrance. He sat in his extravagant brown leather  chair, a tattered book resting between his fingers. Theo had probably read every book the Rogues dug up a hundred times, I couldn't understand how he found enjoyment in reading the same words over and over again.

"Back from the dead?" Theo lifted his head from his book. The raise of his dark brow was not impressive.

"I liked it better as a corpse." I taunted

"Hadly, Van and Irya."  he said.  I winced at his upfrontness, the names chilling my spine, "They're dead."

"I know." I replied hastily, guilt curling in my stomach. I had visited their resting areas before Theos, and I didnt need to be reminded of their deaths. It was something I was dealing with myself, something Theo had no say in. I wanted to change the subject.  "We were able drive the troopers to retreat and-"

"Dominic, you forget that it's been four days since the attack. I know this already."

The concept of time became a strange thing to me. Sleeping for three days straight felt no more than an hour. I couldn't believe I slept so long and yet I remained so tired. It was a haste trying to keep my eyes open still.