14- The Girl

Dominic held his head down over the ledge of the balcony, as the cool breeze brushed through his messy hair, lifting it above his blue eyes, so I could see them clearly. He had a look on his face...a look I've never seen before. It was like whatever thought played in his head made him sick to his stomach. Like he regretted ever bringing the thought into his head. I've seen him look serious...but not like this.

He took a deep breath as his gaze remained over the ledge, "It was four years ago."

"What was?" I raised my eyebrow and turned to him

"The incident..."

I've heard Dominic mention the "Incident" before, but I never had the courage to ask what it was. Every time he brought it up, he used it against me being here. Ive always wondered what it was.

"Someone came from Detra...a girl. We used to take rebels in from Detra every now and then...I couldn't bear the thought of letting someone who is immune suffer in that hell hole. Every person who came from Detra was like any other Rogue...expect her." He paused "She...she was different. She had this fire in her eyes that was so intriguing...it was hard for anyone not to like her."

"Verena, was her name." I could tell just the sound of her name sent chills running down his spine...like a bad memory that burned in his head.

"God There's so much I could say about her. You knew when Verena walked in the room, because everyone's eyes lit up. She had this sort of charm to her that was so mesmerizing. She was everything anyone could have wanted. A friend, a leader..." he paused and took a deep breath as he quietly mumbled, "...a lover."

My heart felt heavy as he spoke of her...I wasn't sure why though. Why the hell did I care? I didn't.

"She came from Detra seeking freedom from the government, just like everyone else. She told me that she escaped the chamber, and ran away into the woods, not knowing what to do. Celeste found her in the forest, and brought her to the Rogues. As soon as she arrived...it was like everything shifted. She was young, reckless, determined...beautiful. God was Verena, beautiful." He shook his head, reliving the memories that flowed through his mind.

"She had these eyes...blue as ice, that just reeled people in. She'd shoot you one glance and you would fall to her knees."

Hearing him talk about her bright, blue eyes made me hate my dull hazel eyes even more. I had always wished my eyes were blue. Not to please him though...I didn't care what he thought about me.I didn't.

"She was talented too...a natural at anything she did. She could shoot a target with her eyes closed, and pierce a punch through the air like a blade." Dominic turned towards me, "there so many parts of you that remind me of her"

Dominic gazed at me, studying the look on my face as memories of this girl flooded through his mind. For a moment I think when he looked my way...he saw her face staring back at him, not mine.

He shook his head and looked back down over the ledge, leaning into his shoulders. "There was not a single flaw about her. Everywhere she went, her confidence lit up the room. She had this boldness about her that was almost hypnotizing...it was like whenever people saw her, they couldn't keep their eyes off her. Every girl wanted to be her friend, and every guy wanted to get in her pants." He rolled his eyes.

"But she was very picky with who she got close with...that's why I felt so lucky when she wanted me. Finally having her, felt like I had won a fucking trophy or something...god I was so stupid."

I could see the pain in Dominics eyes as he glanced at me for a second. I couldn't figure out how someone like him, so cold hearted and detached, could let someone tear him apart. How did she break him?