40- The Gates

Dominic

Breaking out of the Chamber isn't nearly as hard as breaking in.

Celeste, Kyler, and I practically walked out without a single head-turning our way to care. The troopers were all programmed to care about one thing and one thing only--Evelyn. Most of the troopers were out of the chamber anyways. I didn't like to think of where they might have gone too.

Evelyn was our only care too. Our time was limited and we had to reach No Mans land before she did. Of course, Grant Holden was not a person I would naturally trust, but  I wouldn't want to risk any chances if he really was telling the truth. His face wasn't one of someone trying to manipulate me--- I've grown familiar with eyes like that. He was painted with genuine worry. Horror almost.

There was a part of me that almost wished Grant wasn't speaking the truth. If they were taking Evelyn to No Man's Land, there was only one thing they wanted her there to do--destroy it. How Grado located our home, I wasn't sure, but that didn't matter. I just needed to get back and make sure everyone was safe.

We treaded through the mass of halls, Celeste and Kyler still in the facade of the trooper uniforms. I was merely another prisoner to them. Another alarm sounded--red blinking lights flickered and splashed color onto the white walls. In seconds, troopers flooded the halls, guns, and tasers in hand. I felt Celeste's grip on my arm tightened as the bodies pushed past us, nearly knocking us over as we stood still. They all were traveling the same direction--left, so we would travel right.

We whirled around a corner, no one taking to notice, and spotting the unoccupied exit. Would it really be this simple? We could possibly just walk out? I know the Chamber better than the back of my own hand. I know its tricks. I know its secrets. It wouldn't be that easy.

Celeste headed towards the door, and I grabbed her wrist to stop her. "Wait!"

"Dom, we have to get out of here!"

"Are you even thinking? They wouldn't just leave an exit like that unoccupied!"

"We dont have many options right now."

"But what if there's--"

"Guys?" Kyler said modestly

"You dont know that!" I argued

"We can fight them off!" debated Celeste

"Hey, guys?" Kyler repeated from a distance

"I'll go. Alone. Just in case"

"You can't go alone, Dominic!"

"Bloody hell!" Kyler called powerfully, and we directed our gazes to him. He was standing outside the door, the light carving a dark silhouette in his features. Not a trooper in view. "There's no one out here." He said with a glance, "But if you two weren't occupied with bickering with each other, we would have known that a lot sooner!"

"Hmph." Celeste narrowed her eyes at me with a sneer, "I was right." She followed Kyler, leaving me wearily behind. There was still something off about it. Something I didn't trust. Nonetheless, Celeste and Kyler were far ahead of me, and I needed to catch up.

I swung my legs around the gate of the Chamber, Cel and Kyler's soles hitting the ground behind me. Our feet trampled on the tattered grass as we hurried through the woods. I held my hand out, swatting away branches and leaves that hung in my way, cutting at the bark like a knife. Sweat lined down my back as the golden sun beat hot on my skin. Other than the sound of our feet crunching on the forest floor, the only thing I could hear was the pace of the breath and the beat of my heart echoing in my ears.