4- The Bride

For someone who has a hard time sleeping, I slept very well last night. It was one of the best sleeps I've had in awhile. Knowing that it would be my last night sleeping by myself in my own bed, I wanted to cherish it. I took a deep breath and sat up from my bed. Today's the day.

I rubbed my eyes and slowly dangled my feet over my bed, and stood up. I slugged over to my living room and opened my front door to see the package that arrived...my wedding dress. I didn't even want to look at it yet. I got this sick feeling in my stomach whenever I thought about it. Soon I heard my doorbell ring. I marched over to see who it was.

"Surprise!"  Gemma stood in the doorway with her arms wide open and a smile plastered across her lips.

"Gemma!" I smiled and gave her a hug.

"What are you doing here?"

"There was no way in hell I was going to let you get ready for your big day all by yourself!"

"Please, come inside." We made our way onto my couch and Gemma squeezed my hand.

"So...I've been dying to know." She looked at me, "who's the man?"

I sighed, "you're not going to believe who it is"

"Just tell me!" Gemma nodded with a grin on her face

"Grant Holden." I rolled my eyes

"No way..." Gemma's eyes widened, "You mean the handsome, rich, powerful government official Grant Holden?"

I nodded, and looked down at my hands.

"my best friend is mated to THE Grant Holden?!Oh my gosh Ev, I'm so jealous! He is sooo dreamy" Gemma gushed.

"Dreamy?" I shook my head, "If anything he's a nightmare. I would give him to you in a heartbeat if I could." Gemma looked at me like I had ten heads. "Ev?" Gemma raised her eyebrow, "are you doubting the system's choice for you?"

"Well...I don't know Gem. It's hard to explain. I just feel like they might have messed up or something" I tucked my hair behind my ear. "I just don't feel he's right for me"

"Don't speak like that!" Gemma held her hands to my lips, shielding the words that were about to come out of my mouth. "Do you want to get yourself arrested?" Gemma yelled.

"hush Gem" I grabbed her hands and took them off my mouth.

"Aren't you happy?" She asked. No. I'm anything but happy. But everyone in Detra has to be happy. If the Government finds you unhappy...they send you to the chamber, and that's something I dreaded.

"Of course" I said, forcing a smile across my lips and touching Gemma's hand.

"Ok Good...now let's get you ready"

Gemma began to do my makeup. She was very good at makeup, and wore it everyday. We are only allowed to wear certain makeup colors though, because Detra Gov doesn't want anyone looking unnatural. I felt the soft tips of the makeup brush glide across my face as she blended in some foundation and blushed my cheeks. She held up dark black mascara and swiped it on my eyelashes. My eyelashes were already pretty long, so the mascara just made them look even longer. She asked me to pucker my lips as she gave me a crimson red lip. She finished off the look by brushing some gold shimmer onto the top of cheekbones and insides of eyelids. I gazed in the mirror at my reflection. I looked as if I aged 5 years...I barely recognized the person looking back at me in the mirror. She was very pretty but...she wasn't me.

After that I carefully stepped into my dress. I slipped the straps over my shoulders and admired it in the mirror. It was a silky white dress with a low v neck that reached to about halfway down my chest. It fit tightly around my slim waist and gradually got looser towards the end, where it flowed into a long silk that trailed behind me. Lace flowers embedded into the dress cinched my waist and cascaded down the ends, and shimmered down the sides. It was beautiful. I've never put anything so elegant on my body before...so why do I still feel the same. I should feel beautiful wearing this gorgeous dress and makeup...but I just feel ashamed. I'm not dressed up for myself...I'm dressed up for him.