Chapter 41- Her Power

Evelyn

What's happening to me?

Her voice drowned my senses, swallowed up every thought in my head, infested my mind like a swarm of bees and I drank her poisonous words like sweet red wine. Why couldn't I stop it? Why did I have to listen? I thought...I thought I could resist...I thought I could overpower her. But I was wrong. Verena's powers were eating away at my thoughts, and they would keep gnawing until there's nothing left in my head but the thought of her.

I understood why Dominic was so conflicted with his own thoughts after being tied up in hers for so long. If he felt like...well if he felt like this—not knowing what thoughts are your own or someone else's—I understood.

Verena led me out of the truck, her gentle hand in mine as she guided my awkward steps. I was smiling like an idiot. Why was I smiling? It was only a kiss—a kiss that felt she pulled me into her world and wrapped reality on her slender finger. I didn't want to smile, but it felt like there was a string tugging on the edges of my lips, forcing me to lift my cheeks. It was so painful, and yet so pleasing.

"Where are we?" I said, looking around the area outside the truck. I saw woods. Trees toppled shadows over my head, leaves shaded the golden sun—though the clouds were doing a good enough job with that. Miles of woods before stood me. It wasn't unfamiliar, yet I couldn't quite put my finger on why I felt so welcomed.

Why would they take me to the woods? What was so important there? Verena's power not only shaped new thoughts but clouded older ones as well. I kicked myself for not remembering. Think Ev, think. But a cloud fogged my head.

"Don't you recognize it?" Verena said, and as if it were a command, lines of troopers marched behind Verena—Grado in front with his reddened cape and shiny silver armor. Why was it I could remember who he was, but hardly anything else?

But who was Grado? He...he was the general. The head of Detras army, a praised military leader, a war hero. He was...he hurt my friends. My friends! Suddenly the thought of them reentered my head. Celeste, Kyler, Cassian, Lani, Gemma...Dominic. My friends, they were...they were Rogues. I was a Rogue.

I felt like I was finally pushing through her power. I was finally winning back my thoughts.

The woods were the Rogue's home.

Oh no. It's the Rogue's home.

My heart twisted at the thought of where they were taking me. We were going to the Rogues homeland.

I looked to Verena, gaped at the wicked satisfaction in her eyes and I realized what she was trying to do. I could fight it. I would fight it. But she didn't need to know that. I would let Verena believe she still has control over me. If I pretended to be under her command, I could pretend to be on their side and fool them. But how long could I challenge her abilities?

I would fight it as long as I could. I was stronger than her, and I would prove that not even the most skilled hexer could restrain me. I would not let her win.

"Come with us, Evelyn. Were going to somewhere familiar to you."

"How do you know where to go?" I said, out of wonder. The Rogues location was very secretive. Without the guidance of Dominic or Celeste, I surely wouldn't be able to find my way back. If they thought they could get the location out of me, they were damned.

"I don't know where it is." I said coldly, then cursed myself a bit. I still had to pretend I was under her power.

"We don't need your help."