30- The Martyr

Dominic

( An hour earlier)

I was prepared for Theo to scold me. To run my ears off until he had no more breath to even bite his tongue. But the moment I stepped into his oriented oval office that reigned with books and pieces of writing plastered on the walls, he remained rather calm. I could read Theo almost as well as he read those books on the stacked shelves, and I knew he wasn't pleased, dispute his tranquil demeanor.

"Dominic." he said, his rusty voice seeking through the cool air. Theo always kept his room cold, almost too cold. Sometimes I saw the fog of my breath bounce off the walls of his office, moments I was convinced Theos blood was tainted with ice. He never had a reason for keeping it so cold, not one I knew of at least.

Theo faced the vass window that stood beyond his desk, his hands clasped behind his back as he stared out into the view of the courtyard. He didn't need to turn his neck an inch to be able to sense my presence in the room. The sunlight glared on his coarse skin, his grey eyes looking rather blue as he faced the lustering transparent glass.

"Theo." I replied with a nod of my head. He said nothing for a few painful seconds, his neutral eyes scanning the Immunes as they flooded the courtyard. I was ready for whatever he needed to say, but I wouldn't just sit there and wait for his words.

"You know why I did it Theo. I had too."

"I knew you would do it."

"You did?"

"You forget Dominic, that I know things. I know more than you ever will. From the moment you walked out of the meeting the other day, I knew you were going to go to The Chamber. I knew you would disobey me."

How did he know? Who was I kidding... of course he knew, I always forgot Theo was a Mozack. He's branded by intelligence and quick wit. A skilled Mozack like him can think things through before they even happen. His brain works quicker than mine, even Kylers.

"Why didn't you stop me then? Why did you let me go?"

"Letting you go would be your punishment." Theo remained facing the window, the warmth of his breath fogging up glass as he spoke. "I knew the consequences of you going there. But what you received was far worse because you brought her along."

"Evelyn?" I lifted my brow in confusion.

"Yes, the girl is a value to Detra."

"How so?" I knew why, but I was curious to learn his reason.

"A Kinesic like her is a rarity that Detra is in need of if they want to execute their plan of becoming an Empire."

I was appalled, no one other than me, Cel, and Ky knew about her powers. "How did you know-"

"I knew what she was from the moment I met her." Theo faced me, his eyepatch shadowing over his defined cheekbones. How could he know? "You forget Dominic, I'm rather familiar with Kinesics."

Inara. I forgot. I looked down in embarrassment. Of course he knew, it's Theo, he knows everything.

"I could sense it in her. The way she looked around the room, the way she held her hands and lost herself in her thoughts. She's focus driven, I saw it especially at the Rumble. How could you not notice?"

"I've never met a Kinesic before, I've only heard your stories."

"And if you remember anything from my stories?" He nudged me to finish for him. It wasn't a hard question.