25- A Weapon

Dominic
Usually, my mind skipped in a million places, but in this moment, the only thing that ran through my head was the thought of reaching my arms out to her and begging, Please don't leave.

I could feel the moment of uneasiness travel through everyone as soon as the words came out of the troopers mouth. I'd never seen fear reign in Evelyn's eyes. Even in the woods when she was attacked, I didn't see it in her. Though as soon as we heard the troopers retreat, her face was painted with terror.

"He wants to see her."

He? My guess was it had to be Evelyn's mate. Though I had no idea her mate worked for Detra gov, and worse, was high enough ranked to have access to the Chamber. How important was this man to Detra?

Stay focused. I tried to remind myself, Don't forget what this mission was really about.

Kyler nodded his head and gestured us out the door. He slipped around a quiet corner and we all followed him into the darkness, hoping we wouldn't be seen by other troopers. I didn't know what he had in mind, but usually his ideas were something logical. I never argued the fact that he thought through things more thoroughly than I. But I thought my logic was practical, The more thinking you do during a fight, the less time you have to throw your punches.

"Okay." Kyler whispered with a heavy pant of breath, " We need to bring Evelyn to where they want us to take her."

"No." I said immediately, "Were not splitting up. We just don't take her there, it's simple."

"I know the man we are dealing with here..." Kyler scanned the masked faces of everyone, then met the only eyes of Evelyn's, "...If her face isn't in his office in five minutes, troopers will invade the whole area looking for her and our plan will be done for."

"Now what do we do?" asked Celeste worriedly. I wondered the same thing. Evelyn was silent. I looked at her trying to see a change in her expression, hoping my glance would maybe provoke her to say something. She was still silent. I knew she couldn't see my face through my mask, and I was glad. I didn't want her to see the look of worry I wore under my helmet.

"I'll go with Evelyn." said Kyler, "You guys get the Immune people out, then come back for us. If you guys dont come back within an hour, I'll say I'm taking her back into testing and I'll sneak us out the exit."

"I'll go with Evelyn." I protested. As much as I wanted to see the looks of hope on the faces of the Immunes as I was freeing them from their cells, I wanted to stay with Evelyn. I hated that I wanted to stay with her. I hated that I would rather be with her than free the Immunes. It wasn't like me.

"No, Dominic. I know my way around here better, and I know how to communicate with the guards if I have to. You and Celeste know where they keep the Immunes, so it's best if you go there."

Kyler was right. It was probably for the best that I didn't go with Evelyn...I didn't even want to begin to imagine what I would do to that man who wanted to see her so badly. I'd probably mess up the whole mission by blowing a bullet through his chest if he laid a single hand on her.

I peered over at Evelyn again, but her head was looking to her feet and her lips were shut. I wanted her to say something...anything. I just wanted to hear the sound of her soft voice, or see the colors of yellow and brown flash in her hazel eyes. But she remained quiet and her gaze stuck to the floor. I heard nothing but the pace of her nervous breath that she was trying to hide.Her breath caught for a moment and then...she spoke.

"I want to see him."

"What?" I turned to her, making sure I heard her words right.

"It's okay." She nodded and took a deep breath, "I want to hear what he wants to say to me. We follow Kylers plan."