19- Rooftop

Dominic
12 years earlier

The cries of my mother burned through my ears...I had no idea why she was upset, but by the cracks of her voice, I could almost feel her pain. I sat quietly in my bedroom, listening to my mother as she wept behind my wall. Curiously, I stepped off the foot of my bed, pushed open my door and snuck out to see what was the matter. I crept past  my little brother's room. He laid quietly in his crib, hugged in a warm blanket. He looked so innocent...so peaceful. I hoped my mother's yelling wouldn't wake him up. I walked past and peeked into the living room.

My mother held her hands up to her face, tears streaming down her cheeks and through the tips of her fingers. My father stood  next to her with his arm around her shoulders, rubbing her back  gently as she wept.

Why is she so upset?

"No" she cried, "They can't take him away...I won't let them!"

"I'm sorry hunny." My father replied, "We've known for awhile that he's...different. Sooner or later they were going to find out too! Even if they didn't find out, we had another baby illegally...you knew this was coming."

I peered around a wall, trying to get a better view when my feet brushed over an unstable tile, catching my mother's attention as her head quickly glanced towards me.

My heart sank to my feet...I've never seen my mother's face filled with so much worry...it frightened me.

"Dominic!" She stood up straight, holding her hand to her cheek and wiping the tears from her eyes.

"Mom?" My voice trembled as I slowly neared her and my father, "what's going on?"

She bent down, kneeling onto the floor next to me, her eyes filled with sincerity. Her hand reached up and grabbed my arm, pulling my body close to hers. She hugged me tightly, placing her palm on the back of my head as my chin rested soundly on her shoulder.

Tears began to slowly  trail down her cheek as her gentle touch carefully rubbed the back of my brown messy hair reassuringly, " It's going to be ok sweetie. Trust me."

Her soft words sent chills down my spine...I couldn't grasp what she meant.

A few days ago I was sent into questioning with Detra gov. A few other kids at school reported me for "suspicious behavior". I wasn't sure what I did to be reported...though I had noticed myself feeling off from the other kids. I couldn't explain why I felt different...I just did. I didn't really think anyone but me noticed though.

I was taken in, and answered all the questions Detra gov asked me...then left and went back home. I hadn't really thought anything of it...but now..i'm not sure what to think of it.

On top of that, many had their suspicions about my mother, and her having two children. That was true...she gave birth to my little brother eight years ago, and since has vowed to keep his existence her biggest secret. But it hasn't taken long for people to make their assumptions.

"Mom, what's happening?" I asked again,  my voice filled with panic

"Listen." She pulled me away from her hug and held her hand onto my cheek, brushing her warm fingers against my skin, "No  matter what happens...never give in. Don't you ever let them control you."

"What do you mean?"

" I mean that..." she hesitated, ".... me and you...we're different from other people. We don't think the same...and I'm sure you have noticed. Detra doesn't   like people like us...that's why we have to stay strong. No matter what happens, I want you to stay strong."