21- Trapped

Dominic
12 years earlier

Two months.

It's been two months since I was taken from my mother. Two months since I've last felt her warm touch. Two months since she last held me in her arms. Two months since she'd died.

Wherever she is now though...has to be better than this shit hole.

I spent most of my days in the dark...at least it felt that way. Ironically my cell was all white. The walls were padded with a pillow like tile. I was glad it was there. It kept me from smashing my head into the wall out of rage.

The bright white walls caved into a large room that was separated into sections of smaller cells by silver bars. Though they're was many cells around me for others to stay...I was the only person imprisoned in that room.

Though my cell was painted with light, being surrounded by nothing but a void of emptiness, felt like darkness to me.

I hardly had any human interaction, other than days I went to training. Monday's, Wednesday's, Friday's I went to soldier training, the days in between I either went to the lab for experiments or sat alone in my cell, trapped in my own thoughts.

Today was Tuesday...or at least I thought it was. I wasn't sure, at this point, I had begun to lose track of time. Not like I could pull out a calendar and watch the days go by. Though I did mark my days on the wall with a sharp rock that carved tally marks over my bed, time became irrelevant to me.

My cell was cold, a small area filled with nothing but a thin bed, a toilet, a sink, and thin grey metal bars that sectioned off my cell from the other ones.

Sometimes I would stare out the bars, peering into the empty cell next to me, imagining how silly I must look sitting alone for hours with nothing to do but play thoughts over and over in my head.

I thought about my mother. I thought about her a lot. I wondered whether she knew this was going to be my fate, or if she was planning to keep my immunity and hers, a secret forever. If she was going to keep the existence of my little brother hidden forever.

The last moments I remembered of my mother reminisced in my head over and over. Her lips spelling out the words I love you, the glow of fear in her eyes as the trooper lifted his rake over her chest. My father standing blank as if nothing had happened. He did absolutely nothing, and for that I will never forgive him. I promise that when I somehow break out of this place one day...he will be the first one to pay.

My mother told me to never give into Detra's control, so no matter how hard they tried to tear me apart...I refused to give in. They could keep me locked up for twenty years and I still wouldn't give in. My pride was the only thing I had left, and I wasn't going to lose that too.

I sat with my arms barreled over my knees, hugged in the corner of my cell, staring blankly at the white wall as my thoughts flooded my mind. I considered myself a thinker. It was hard to say exactly what I was always thinking about, but there was always a picture playing in my head. Thinking was the only thing that kept me occupied during the long hours by myself.

Suddenly my thoughts were interrupted as the sound of a door swinging open caught my attention. I looked up from my arms to find an array of troopers circled around what seemed to be a person, leading them inside the room.

The troopers made their way to the cell that sat right next to mine. They pushed a key into a lock and swung open the cell doors, shoving a person inside. I peered through the bars, trying to get a look at who the person was.

It was a girl.

She looked younger than me, but not by much. Her long raven hair fell to the bottom of her waist, and her skin was a rich golden that complemented her dark eyes.