100 Year War

Year 850

'Before the fall, Wall Maria contained a third of what usable land remained to humanity. But, five years ago, when humanity lost this territory, from behind their last two walls, the people realized something...Humankind was fated to become extinct...Defeat was certain...The blade of despair pierced through our hearts. But then, someone grasped that blade and wrenched, turned sorrow into rage, and lashed out on Titans, sticking them down with earths-shaking force. When humanity first saw this, what was in their hearts? In some, it was stalwart pride...In others, newfound hope...And some beat with that first warrior's rage. So, if Wall Maria were taken back, what would the people feel then? Will they finally start to believe in mankind? In the fact that we deserve to live? Would they see at last that our fates are for us to decide? Would it be enough to give them faith? If we can reach Wall Maria and take it back.' 

-----------------------------------------------

*BUMP*

"Ah- Uh!" A soldier trembles as his horse trips over something. 

"Calm down. Make sure the ground is lit," Levi says as we come to a brief stop. 

"Will er be there soon? It's almost dawn," I say as Harold unfolds a map. 

"Well, once we get over this mountain, Shiganishna should be close by," Harold says as we continue to move. 

"Sorry, you got stuck with my horse," Eren apologizes. to Mikasa as I look back. 

"Don't worry about it. You should save your energy," Mikasa replies as I smile under my hood. 

"Yeah, I get it, but still..." Eren trails. 

"She's right, Eren. We need you at your best," Connie adds as Jean huffs. 

"Don't say his name, dumbass," Jean says as Connie gasps. 

"Sorry, I forgot," Connie says back. 

"Act as though we're surrounded by enemies, always," Jean says as he lights up the area. 

As Jean flashed the bright light from his lantern he gasps making me flinch a bit. 

"Titan on the left! Everyone halt! Light up the area!" Jean shouts as everyone shines their lights around in panic. 

"It's all right, pretty sure he's asleep. Doesn't look like this one is one of those new types that can move around at night," Hange says as the chunky Titan rests on a rock with its eyes still half-open. 

We finally continued our path through the forest, "I can't believe we had to get that close in order to notice that thing," Eren comments looking back. 

"Yeah, quite terrifying if you ask me. But, at least we have the dark night sky to protect us," I say trying not to look back. 

"Heh, yeah, I'm with you guys on both points," Hange says. 

"But it's worth it. Light from the moon is really just reflected sunlight. And from what we can tell,  the minuscule amount of reflected light is all these new Titans need to move. It's good that we are using the new moon's cover. There's no guarantee that we won't have a repeat of before. For all we know, that sleeper might've been a moonlight Titan himself. Maybe we can capture one someday!" Hange says drooling. 

*SHAKE* *SHAKE*

'Eren's shaking...Is he nervous? Why now? I hope he doesn't let his nerves get the best of him...He only has one chance...If we fail today...Many people filled with hope will be crushed. Yeah, it would be nice if we failed so I could stay...But, this isn't about me...It's about humanity...'