Annie Leonhart

Year 850

"This is the part of our job I'll never get used to..." Jean says, stacking a body. 

"You're not alone on that," Armin says as I place a hand on his shoulder. 

"Seems like death's everywhere. All I can think about is how it'll end. Which one of us is next? Or if it'll be me..." Jean frowns. 

"Let's just try not to obsess over it. The only thing that train of thought is good for is breaking your nerve, believe me...Push it out of your mind." I say. 

"I suppose you're right..." Jean makes his way over to another wrapped body. 

"Nah, I know you're right." Armin joins Jean as I grab a bucket of hay. 

"How are you even supposed to tell the families?" I ask while feeding the horses. 

"Well, when your father died how were you and your mom told?" Jean asks. 

"Jean!" Armin stops Jean. 

"Armin, it's okay...Actually, I was told by that little man over there." I say pointing to Levi as he was inspecting bodies. 

------------------------------------- 

"Wait!!! Heads up!! We've got company!!" We all look back at Dieter. 

"Titans!!" Dieter says two Titan's were on his tail. 

*POP*

 Someone shot a red smoke signal up into the air. 

"Enemy spotted at the rear!" A messenger says. 

"Full speed!! All soldiers!" Commander Erwin orders.

 As we continue to look back one soldier was taken right off his horse while Dieter attempts to rescue him. The other titan quickly made its way up. 

"It's about to be right on top of us!" Armin shrieks.

"Looks like we've got no choice but to fight!" Jean says. 

"Won't cut, the ground is too flat for us to engagee ODM gear. And not only that-" I look more behind and see more titans running. 

"We'll be outnumbered pretty soon." Armin finishes. 

"Ugh, perfect! Then what you suggest we do geniuses?" Jean asks the two of us. 

I look at the carriages of bodies, "We reduce the number of bodies weighing the carriages down. The horses are fast but not as fast with that much weight." 

A few minutes go by and then the first body was dropped by one of the carriages. And then the next. There was one body that took special notice by Levi. He doesn't show much emotion, normally just one plain face, but this time you could see it in his eye how crushed he was. 

"That's it! We're losing him!" A soldier says.

------------------------------------- 

We had finally reached the Wall. The moment we continued in everyone started talking. Just like how I remember, shit-talking all around. Talking about the sum of us that made it back, about how we didn't accomplish anything, and how we are a waste. I never truly understood how one felt back when I was ten-years-old, but now I do. Degrading never really got to me, up till' now, how shitty it made me feel.  

'Ignore it...'

I look to my left to see those two previous kids look at me with such a great smile.