Chapter 24 One Last Time

Jason, the problem is Jason.

At first I wanted to laugh when Matt told me. Now, though, I just feel bad. I kind of started this, I should never have gone out with him in the first place, completely unprofessional.

Hunter has been dodging me for the last week and I really miss him. With all of the silence from Hunter and Kelsey I feel hopeless. I have no clue how to make everything better, though. Tonight's our last show, and currently, I am waiting around for Kelsey. She's super late, which isn't like her at all.

I pull out my phone and try to call her again. No answer. I need to get ready, I look around and spot a security guard.

"Excuse me," I hold up a picture of Kelsey on my phone. "This girl is supposed to come here to pick up her backstage pass, can you look for her and give this to her?"

He agrees and I leave the pass with him, hoping she gets it.

My nerves are even more stimulated than usual. A couple of minutes before show I am sitting in the makeup station, waiting for the beautician to finish her work. Hunter is sitting a couple of seats down receiving the same treatment. He's flirting rather loudly with the girl who's working on him.

Finally I can't stand it anymore. I get up and walk over to him.

"Hey." I greet him, keeping my tone as light as possible.

"Hey." His response holds little emotion, but he can't hide the emotion in his eyes.

I see pain and frustration when he looks at me. Matt was right! And he's flirting right here, right now, to try to get my attention. I wonder if he knows that he's doing it. Or maybe he's trying to get under my skin.

I can't tell him what Matt told me but I can at least try to make things more normal for tonight. I want this show to go perfectly.

"So, I'm not sure but it seems like there's been some tension between us..." Understatement of the year. "Can we just forget and move on? I promise I will do whatever it takes to get you to forgive me. I just really want tonight to be fun. But it won't be if you're still mad at me. Friends?"

I hold out my hand.

Hunter stares at it for a second and I hold my breath, afraid he won't accept it.

"Friends." He agrees and shakes my hand.

I realize that I need to hurry to get to the stage on time.

"See you up there!" He calls as I walk away.

I look over my shoulder, "sounds good."

It's showtime.

To say that the energy tonight is outstanding would be an understatement.

It's like we're all trying to store up on the excitement to hold us over until next tour.
Now I am standing in the wings for the last time, my whole body twitches in anticipation.

'Easy' starts up and I run out onto the stage. Hunter's singing and one look in his face shows me that everything between us is fine. He's ready to have some fun with me for our last performance.

I grin at him and start in on my part. Everything is going perfectly until one of the instrumental breaks, I manage to slip on the flat stage, I swear it is my shoes. I can tell I am going to fall.

My breath catches in my throat and my arms flail out to the sides. As I flinch, throwing my free hand in front of my face a hand clamps down on my wrist. I look up and see Hunter's face. Relief washes over me.

He winks and then spins me around, like we planned the whole thing.

I am so distracted by the whole thing that I almost miss my next line. I can still feel Hunter's hand on mine, even though he let go, I feel like he's still spinning me around.

We reach the end of the song and I go to meet Hunter in the middle of the stage.

I swear there must be something on the bottom of my shoes. I slide right into Hunter, one of my feet sliding between his. He catches me as the lights die.

Standing there, clasped in his arms I have an impulse; a quick, spontaneous thought. I know I've only got a second, I shut down every screaming thought and lean in kissing him.

By the time the lights come back on I've already pulled away. Hunter's face looks shocked. He lets go of me and I flee from the stage.

As I hand off the microphone I find myself feeling lightheaded and nervous. I also feel a little guilty. Hunter still has 2 songs to go and I think I freaked him out.

I run back to where my phone still sits on the makeup table. The cutoffs I am wearing didn't allow space to put a phone in your pocket. Besides, it's not a good idea to have it on you on the stage. I pick it up and look at the notifications. 11 missed calls, and 7 incoming texts. The reception in here is really bad and if anyone left a voice mail it won't come in until I get a better signal.

I'll check later. I shed my sweat-drenched, tank top and find a clean shirt. Then I run back to the stage, throwing on my denim jacket. I need to see the grand finale.

When it's over Hunter comes bounding down the steps and is swallowed up by the crowd of backstage people. I crane my neck and try to see where he went, what direction he took.

I take a step away from the safety of the wall I was leaning against and into the tumult of people. They move around me, bumping into me, closing in. I don't handle crowds very well.

Someone throws their arm around my waist and yanks me out of the way of an oncoming cart.

"That could've gotten ugly."

I look over and see Hunter's smiling face.

"Hi!"

He takes my hand and pulls me in the direction of the exit.

We burst through the doors and the late summer night air hits us full force.

He swings me around and catches me, his hand is again on my waist. This will definitely take some getting used to.

He pulls me close and looks right into my eyes.

"So..." He says softly.

"So..." My voice is barely audible, even in the quiet night.

He leans in and my phone goes off. I pull away. "Sorry."

"S'okay, come here."

He kisses me gently and I sigh and lean into him, the kiss grows deeper, more passionate.

And my phone goes off again.

I break away, reaching into my coat pocket I pull out my phone. 33 missed calls, 10 new voice mails and 27 texts. Almost every single one is from Aunt Kelly.

My stomach drops.

"I need to check this." I say apolitically to Hunter.

He nods and releases me. I look at the texts, they read 'call me,' and 'I need to talk to you.'

I move to the voice mails. As I listen my eyes go wide and I feel sick and numb.

"Andi, you're as white as a sheet! What's going on?"

I can't respond. I can't breathe.

"Andi, what?"

"Kelsey tried to kill herself."

"What?!?"

"I... I don't know. I need to call my Aunt. I... I need to get home."

"Go, get your stuff together. I'll be right back."

I don't argue as Hunter disappears back inside. I run off in the direction of the buses, still unbelieving that this nightmare is real.