Chapter 26 Too Much

I stare at my father in horror. For all those years he only beat me down with words, he never used physical violence.

His hand is raised as if he's going to strike me again. Mom grabs his arm as Hunter jumps in front of me.

"We trusted you! You were supposed to take care of her!" Pure hate drips in his words.

He's right. I've failed Kelsey again, I almost let her kill herself. I deserve to be hit

I slump in defeat. Hunter wraps his arm around me, protectively.

"Is this the reason you've abandoned her?" He gestured to Hunter. ,"So you could go sleep around and pretend you're hot stuff? You are nothing! Worthless! I knew you were irresponsible, but I never thought you'd mess up with Kelsey!"

"Richard..." My mom says through a sob.

"Quiet Helen! Don't you realize the pure torment you have put us through?! It should be you up in that hospital bed, no wonder Kelsey ended up so lost, just look who she looks up to!"

"Excuse me sir..." Hunter cuts in, I can hear anger in his voice. His jaw muscle is tensed up and he looks ready to deck my father.

"No Hunter. It's okay." I shake his arm off me. "I deserve it." I look at the ground, I am such a failure.

But there's one thing I'm not responsible for, 2 actually. I look straight into my father's eyes.

"I let Kelsey down. I didn't watch out for her like I should have. But I did not beat her, someone else did. And someone else made her think that being abused was normal. Do you want to guess who that was?" I don't wait for a reply. "I also didn't get her pregnant!" My voice has risen to an all time high, people are starting to stare.

"And you," I turn to my mother. "How could you just ignore us? I told you Kelsey needed help, but you just hid behind him! You let him cut us out, and now you expect me to do what? Quit? Come crawling back for forgiveness? No, I'm done trying to make you understand. This is who I am and you need to accept it or just Leave Me Alone!" By the end I'm addressing the both of them.

"P...pregnant." Mom gasps.

Oops, I figured the doctor already told them. All of my strength has ebbed, I threw it all into my outburst.

Suddenly these people who were as small and insignificant as I could make them become my parents again. And they're in pain.

"Mom I..."

"No." Dad's voice booms over mine. "You are done. You don't want to be part of this family, fine. We are finished. Good riddance, you never could do anything but embarrass us anyway."

He storms past me, mom follows closely behind, her head hung low. She's chosen her side.

"And don't even think about coming near Kelsey. You've done enough damage."

'He can't mean that, can't do that. Can he?' Kelsey's 18 now, her own guardian.

I just stand there, staring off into space. Fighting to keep under control.

"Come on." Hunter takes my hand and leads me to the exit. I can't understand what's going on.

By the time we reach the curb and Hunter hails a taxi I manage to form words.

"Where are we going?"

"You need rest, and it's probably a good idea to let things cool down a little."

In the taxi I snuggle up against his warm chest and let my eyes close. I don't say anything until Hunter is unlocking the door that looks familiar but I don't quite recognize.