Chapter 11 Headaches

My head is pounding. I have no idea what happened. I sit up too quickly and am left extremely dizzy. My alarm is blaring in my ears, and I think my head is going to explode.

I moan and crawl out of bed. Tea isn't going to quench this headache. My stomach flops as I stumble into the bathroom. I look terrible.

I remember last night, the bar. 3 different guys offered me drinks. I remember declining the third one because I know my limit. After that, everything is a bit fuzzy.

'The shots!' I forgot about them. Great, just great.

I hurry around the apartment, getting ready. I manage to make myself look almost normal. I run to aunt Kelly's for breakfast. It was part of the deal, she feeds me once a day, then she knows I'm eating.

"Hi," I say, walking into their apartment.

"Good morning!" Her enthusiasm is way to loud. I cringe while I start making myself some dry toast.

Tim is sitting at the table eating his Lucky Charms, some things never change, he regards me over the bowl.

I wave, trying not to cringe, as I sit down.

Suddenly, he chokes on his cereal and sputters, milk sprays out of his nose, barely missing me or my breakfast.

"Timothy!" His mom exclaims, "clean that up right now... oh where is that sponge? What in the world is the matter with you?

She leaves the room.

"First time?" Tim leans over and whispers.

"What?"

"You've got a hang over."

Color rises in my cheeks, "how?..."

Aunt Kelly returns and throws a sponge at him.

"It was an accident, I promise," I say quietly as he leans over and mops up the milk on the floor. "It'll never happen again."

I look at the clock and realize the time. I've got to go!

I say goodbye and race down to my car. Except my car isn't in it's parking spot.

I am confused and starting to freak out when a cab pulls over and the driver rolls down the window.

"You call for a cab last night?"

Sure, I don't see anyone else who needs it. Maybe I ordered it last night and forgot.

I hop in and give him directions. Then I call Kelsey from the back seat of the cab.

"Hello!" She picks up.

Why does everyone have to be so loud this morning?

"Hey, how's it going?" I try to make my voice sound as normal as possible. It doesn't work.

"Andi? Have you been crying? Are you sick?"

Great, now I've got her worried. "No, I'm fine." I lie, "just on my way to work, figured I'd give you a ring, see how things were going."

I try to listen as she fills me in on the latest happenings of the family, it's not much but to her it's her whole world. As we near the studio I cut Kelsey off and we say goodbye and hang up. I miss her terribly.

I check to make sure my car is indeed in it's spot at the studio before heading in.

Hunter's leaning against the doorpost in the entry way.

"Coffee?" He holds out a steaming beverage for me.

I snatch it and take a swallow. I'm not a coffee drinker but I need it desperately to wake up.

"How you feeling?"

"Like someone used my head to break down a door."

"I'm sorry, I didn't realize you were such a light weight or I would have stopped you sooner."

"Do you have my car keys?" I am in no mood for an apology.

He fishes them out of his jacket pocket and places them in my outstretched palm.

I turn and start heading for April's office.

Hunter follows close on my heels.

"Aren't you going to thank me for getting you home safe?"

So that's how I got home! "No."

"Gee, you sure are sour this morning."

I frown as he gets on the elevator with me. "I'm not going to thank you for getting me drunk!"

The coffee must be working, the pounding is not as strong as before and my thoughts are becoming less fuzzy.

The elevator stops on my floor and I exit. I turn and glare at Hunter, daring him to follow me any farther.

"Wait," he reaches out and keeps the doors from closing. "Go with the good girl angle, trust me. You are too innocent to get mixed up with all that junk and drama. Also you are a terrible at flirting, you could never pull it off." He looks like he really means it.

"Anything else Mr. Hayes?" My voice sounds like April's.

"Oh, we're set to work together today, later, on the song for you album. So please try to cheer up by then."

"I've already started on a song," I snap, "it's called 'Hunter Hayes Got Me Drunk'."

He smiles at that. "sounds good, I'll get started on it right away."

With that he steps back and lets the doors close.

I allow myself a small smile as I drain the rest of my coffee.

An idea springs into my head as I toss the empty travel mug in the garbage.

This time I really smile as I brace myself and enter April's office. She won't like the ideas that I have, no not one bit.