Chapter 27 A Hero To Me

I stand backstage, I'm on next. I'm too worried about Kelsey to be nervous. It's not like every single country singer is in the audience or anything.

Aunt Kelly called me right before we got here. Kelsey hasn't woken up yet. And they found a note. Derek did it, Derek beat her up. The baby is his.

Hunter's reassurance gave me a boost of courage. My mom won't pick up my calls, I asked Kelly to give her the phone.

I talked so fast I even made my own head spin. "Mom, don't hang up. I'm on channel 12 tonight, Kelsey needs to hear it. I'm doing this for her, if you love her... if you ever loved me you'll turn it on."

I hung up without waiting for a reply.

Hunter walks up to me, he's not performing until later.

"You look great, you're going to do amazing!"

"Thanks."

My hair is braided to the side, I have so much makeup on my face that I don't think it will ever completely wash off. My dress is white and crinkly, sprinkled with gold glitter that gets thicker as it trails down to the floor. I look more girly than I've ever looked in my life, and I don't care.

Someone announces me and I take the stage.

I walk to the microphone and squint at the teleprompter, I'm supposed to read a minute long speech before I sing. But I can't make the words make sense in my head.

"Um..." I try one more time. Nope. I am lost. "My sister tried to commit suicide last night." 'Where did that come from?' "She was bullied to the point of self- harm and attempted suicide back in high school. Those problems have followed her... this song is for her and every other person who is dealing with trials, with self-doubt."

I swallow and wait for the music to start. I threw everyone off, that much is clear. Finally everything settles down and we are back on track. 'Here goes nothing.' I think to myself as I start to sing.

"She smiles when it's raining
The sunshine brings her down
She deserves to be someone's everything
But for now she's just a quiet sound
Don't ever give up, stop believing

Fight a little harder
Breathe a little deeper
You're so much more than what they say
Stand a little taller
Believe a little brighter
They can't touch you, hurt you in any way

The scars she bears from battles
Hard fought, and sorely won
Her mind in constant turmoil
Even in life that's barely begun
Happiness is her unattainable goal

Fight a little harder
Breathe a little deeper
You're so much more than what they say
Stand a little taller
Believe a little brighter
They can't touch you, hurt you in any way

Fight a little longer, push a little further
You are forever a hero to me

She fights for every breath she takes"

My voice chokes up, I can't see past the shimmering lights, my eyes are full, but not overflowing. I need to finish this for Kelsey... for myself.

"Waiting for the rainy days
What more can she do than keep awake
Even more beautiful because of the pain
Paying every day for meaningless mistakes

Fight a little harder
Breathe a little deeper
You've always been more than what they say
Stand a little taller
Believe a little brighter
No one can hurt you, you're going to be okay

Fight a little longer, you are so much stronger
You're forever a hero to me"

I can't see a thing. I hear an eruption of cheering and clapping.