Chapter 9 Hidden Talents

"I don't like wearing dresses," I confess, laying on the floor in one of the sitting rooms at the studio.

It's been 2 weeks and April still won't move the album along until I get my stupid image established. Personally, I think people care way too much about physical appearance.

"I don't like wearing them either, good thing I'm a guy." Hunter jokes. He's sitting at a table across the room. Laptop, wallet, and keys spread out on the desk in front of him.

I laugh, "I would pay big money to see that!"

Over the last weeks I've met a couple different artists. Had a few tryout sessions with different bands. And now I'm supposed to be recording demos from a list of songs, mostly mine. Instead, I found myself in the break room, staring at the ridiculous coffee selection.

Hunter came in and we started talking, I kind of followed him back to this room. It's tucked away and quiet. Or it would be if I would stop complaining.

"When April finds me I'm going to be in big trouble."

"Good for you." I don't think Hunter's listening anymore. He's busy on his computer.

"See, that's what's not fair!" My mind is still on dresses.

"Hmm?"

"Guys can get away with wearing whatever clothes, acting however they want. But girls have to fit in a mold. Especially girls in country music, they are expected to be frilly and pretty." I wrinkle my nose, imagining myself in a flowy dress and high heels, trying to sing while strutting around.

April is almost to the point, I think, of pressing me into whatever persona seems right to her. Just so she can move on.

Apparently, my music is 'innocent and pure' so right now the label is leaning in the direction of the 'good girl' but April seems dead set on making me look and sound like a 'spitfire, trouble maker.' I don't like either option. I just want to be me.

I don't want to sing about ponies, parties, and pigtails. I want my music to be about hope, hardships, happiness, and heroes.

April doesn't agree with this either.

"Arg! Why is this so hard? I just want to start writing and recording already!" I kick my feet against the wall like a child throwing a tantrum.

Hunter snaps his laptop shut. I look over at him.

"Did I say that out loud? I'm sorry."

"No, I'm done with my problems, and it sounds like you need some help with yours. Come with me."

He leads me to one of the empty studios. The one with the beautiful piano. I've been drooling over it since I first laid eyes on it. But besides a few songs on the guitar April hasn't given me permission to do anything other than sing. My band is supposed to handle the music.

Hunter points at the piano. "Play."

"Really?"

"You can play the piano' right?"

"Yeah." I rush to the seat and perch at the ready, "play anything?"

"Go for it."

My fingers pause over the keys, searching for the piece that fits my mood. I smile as a song pops into my head. I've never played it before. Do I dare? Yes I do.

I begin, my eyes are closed so I can remember the notes. I wish I could watch Hunter's reaction.

I play the heart and soul out of my overwhelmed mind. I make one or two small mistakes but the emotion, I decide, totally makes up for them.

I finish, letting the last notes fade before opening my eyes. "Invisible," I whisper, the music still ringing in my ears.

Hunter stands, clutching the far end of the piano, and I swear I see a tear glinting in his eye.

"Thanks, I needed that," I say standing up.

"You played that from memory?"

"Well, I could have gotten it all right, if I'd ever seen sheet music for it."

"What?"

"I've never played that song before. Sorry I messed up."

Hunter looks dumbstruck.

"And why are you here instead of a concert hall right now?"

I shrug. "I like music with lyrics, I want to express myself with words as well as music, I want to say something that makes a difference.

"Remind me never to go against you on the piano."

"Okay, same goes for me and drums then."
"So now what do you want to do?"

"Now I kind of want to record some demos." The music has come back to the forefront of my mind, it is why I am here in the first place. I want to play, I want to perform.

"Well, let me go see if there's a band to spare around here then."

With that Hunter bounds out of the room.

I smile at myself, I impressed him. That makes me proud.

By the time Hunter returns, to tell me there's a band setting up in another studio for me, I am getting chewed out by April.

She's going on about how irresponsible I am and how I am locked into a contract that says I do what she wants.
I am also informed that I need to be here bright and early tomorrow morning. She's deciding on my character, with our without my input. So if I want any say I need to come up with some ideas by then.

I really hope that somewhere in my contract it says that April is not allowed to physically harm me, because I suspect she's getting very close to crossing that line.

Hunter interrupts and I am released from April's angry words.

I scurry down the hall and away from April's voice as she starts chewing Hunter out.

I make a mental note to thank him later. I seem to owe him a lot lately.