Chapter 23 Wait... What?

April is amazing!

A week before the last tour date I get a phone call. I look at it and recognize her number. She's back in Nashville dealing with some big business thing.

I think about sending her to voice mail but she said she had some important news to tell me today. It is the only reason I hit the accept button... well that and the promise of a little drama. Now that Hunter and I aren't butting heads so much I need someone to fight with and Kelsey has been too busy.

"Hello."

"Get ready to tell me how much you love me!"

An unexpected greeting... "Okay...?" She might not like it if I tell her the truth.

"You are lined up for a spot on the anti-bullying fundraiser, and it's going to be on television!"

"Okay, that's cryptic."

"The details don't concern you. Just make sure you show up."

"I can handle that."

"And now for the best part, they want you to sing 'A Hero To Me!'"

I drop the phone and hear it bounce off the floor of the bus with a loud thud. I scramble to pick it up. I cracked the screen. 'Great, like it isn't still under contract for 6 months.'

"No way!"

"Honest truth! And, I pitched the idea for it to be your next single, since you are performing it for the first time on television. They agreed and decided that it is the perfect way to kick off your next song!"

I have no thought, no sound. I can't believe it.

"Andi? Are you still there?"

"Y... yeah." My voice squeaks. "Thank you so much!"

"See, I told you I was amazing. Now, it's the day after your tour ends so you're gonna wanna watch out for next week..."

I listen as April drolls on about getting plenty of rest, what I need to do to prepare and be prepared for. The other nice thing is Hunter's also on the program, he's singing 'Love Too Much' I can ask him for advice.

By the time I hang up I am almost dancing. I run off my bus with a burst of energy. I almost smack right into Jason when I turn the corner.

"Hey." He throws his arms out to catch me. "Watch where you're going."

"Sorry, I'm just too excited!"

"Why, what's up?"

I tell Jason about my phone call and my song, I am laughing extremely hard though so I don't know if he understands most of what I am saying.

"Andi, that's amazing!" He ends up giving me a giant hug.

For once I don't protest or stiffen, I return the hug with the same strength.

I turn my head and see Hunter walking and talking with some of his band. I smile real big, I need to tell him next.

I break free from Jason's embrace and make a b-line for the small group.

As I approach, Hunter doesn't look at me, almost like he doesn't know I'm here. That's funny, I could have sworn he saw me before.

I stand off to the side as the others smile and wave at me, still deep in conversation over something to do with tonight's performance.

After what seems like an endless amount of time they start to disperse and I walk right up to Hunter. He looks upset.

"Guess what?"