Chapter 20 First Time Feeling

"No, that arrangement won't work!" Hunter pushes the mess of papers away, they make a swishing sound as they slide across the table.

"But I was thinking..."

"No, end of discussion."

I sit back and sigh. The closer Hunter and I get the more we seem to fight. It's never anything major, I just know him better and am learning the best ways to get under his skin. I rather enjoy fighting with him now that he will yell back. I feel like he cares more when he raises his voice.

"Well, I don't think we're going to be getting anything more done tonight, so goodnight." I stand and pull out my keys.

Hunter looks up in surprise, "you're leaving? It's only 6."

"Yeah, Kelsey doesn't have class tonight and since we are leaving next week I just figured her and I needed some quality time together."

"Oh sure, I get it."

I smile. "Did the collaboration song get approved yet?"

"Oh, yeah. That's all good."

"Great, goodnight."

I leave the mostly darkened building and head for home.

I am greeted by the delicious smell of chili and fresh cornbread.

"Wow, you've really outdone yourself," I tell Kelsey as I put my keys and shoes away.
She's even laid out a table with lit candles.

"Thank you." Kelsey takes her seat and I take mine.

"So, how's class going?"

"Oh fantastic! I love it so much. It's like high school but more focus, less drama."

I smile, relieved that it's going so well for her. I know I worry too much about her, but I have good reason to.

"So how's the tour prep? Hard work?"

I nod, mouth filled with the perfectly cooked beans and mushrooms, tomato chunks bursting in my mouth. Kelsey should have been a chef.

"Seeing much of Hunter?"

I swallow, "oh please can we not talk about Hunter, or any guy for that matter, tonight?"

"Sorry, I didn't know I'd strike such a nerve. Still stressing about the tabloids?"

"No, and you didn't. I have no feelings about it."

"Well, you're leaving in a week to go touring across the country with a guy who , according to most of the news media, you are dating. How am I supposed to just ignore that?"
"Like this." I stuff another piece of bread in my mouth.

"Whatever," Kelsey rolls her eyes. "You so like him."

I swallow. "Can we change the subject?"

"Fine. Hey, what does Hunter do anyway, like working out I mean. Because there is no way he gets that toned from just playing music."

Thinking about Hunter's toned body causes me to lose my appetite. I push away from the table and start to clean up the kitchen.

Kelsey joins me in doing the dishes and for a split second everything feels like old times.

We finish and find a movie to watch in our pajamas while Kelsey tries out new hairstyles on me. Just like we used to always do on Friday nights.

I'm trying really hard to forget that I am leaving her alone for 10 weeks.

-----

Saying goodbye is easier though when your tour kicks off in the town you live in. At least it means Kelsey gets to come to my first show.