Chapter 25 Shocking Developments

Hunter and I meet Aunt Kelly in the hospital lobby, Tim is with Kelsey right now. Kelly explains what happened; she hadn't seen Kelsey for 2 days and so she went over to our apartment and knocked. She knew Kelsey was home because she heard her in there the night before, and her car was still in its parking spot.

When she received no response she let herself in. She found Kelsey in the bathroom with both of her arms cut up all the way to her elbows. Kelly called 911 right away and, thankfully, they got to her in time. They also pumped her stomach, she had taken the whole of the contents of our medicine cabinet.

I am in a numb shock. 'This can't be real.' Finally, we are taken up to her room. I completely lose it when I see her, lying so pale and peaceful on her bed, her brown hair spread softly against the pillow.

I leave Hunter standing in the doorway and rush to her side, grabbing her hand and collapsing onto my knees in a fit of sobs.

'This is all my fault, I've failed her again.'

Finally, after what feels like ages I feel a hand rest softly on my head.

"I believe the police have some questions." Hunter says soothingly in my ear. He helps me to stand back up. "Don't worry, I'll stay with her."

I nod and exit the room meeting a police officer and a doctor who are standing just outside.

They only take about 10 minutes, going over medical history and what happened. Apparently, Kelsey was beaten pretty bad fairly recently before she tried to commit suicide. I have no clue who would do that to my sweet, innocent, little sister.

When they see I have nothing more to say they let me go. The doctor stops me before I enter her room. "Everything's stable now. The baby should be fine."

"Baby?" 'Oh-no Kelsey, what did you do?'

"She's about 10 weeks along... you didn't know?"

I shake my head, unable to answer back. I just walk back into the room and fall down in a hardwood chair.

Kelly and Tim go down to the kitchen in search of some coffee. I appreciate both of them right now more than ever.

I hold my head in my hands. "I'm so sorry. I'm sorry." I mumble.

I am vaguely aware of Hunter's form, sitting next to me, putting his arm around my shoulders.

"This can't be happening. Not again." I lean over against the crook of his neck.

"Again?"

Right, he doesn't know. No one does, just me and mom and dad.

"When Kelsey was about to turn 16 her life was going perfectly. Good grades; popular; amazing, football playing boyfriend... She was the queen of the 10th grade. I was glad because I was just starting college and I couldn't be at school with her to watch over her... Well, she started to gain a little weight; healthy, normal... just a growth spurt. Some girl at school and her got into it, I don't remember over what. Anyway, the girl started a rumor that Kelsey was pregnant."

"That's terrible!" Hunter sounds shocked, disgusted.

"It was. She started starving herself, and doing other stuff we didn't know about."

"Like cutting?" Hunter guesses.

I wince. "Yes... she got picked on every day. One by one her friends abandoned her. Rick dumped her and she even had someone put a severed doll head in her locker, complete with ketchup for blood that they poured over all of her textbooks. Apparently, they decided it was more likely for her to have an abortion than it was for her to have never gotten pregnant in the first place."

I swallow hard before I continue, the next part is hard to tell.

"She didn't tell us, not one single word. I was too busy with school, I still don't know how I missed it. One Friday I came home early because I had a dentist appointment. I went to brush my teeth and found the bathroom door locked. I knocked and nobody answered. I ended up using a hair pin to pick the lock. I opened the door and found Kelsey laying in a pool of blood. She had...." I can't. The memory hurts too much. A strangled sob breaks loose from my throat.

"Hey, shh. It's okay. She's here and it's going to be okay." Hunter soothes.

I bury my face in his shoulder. 'Kelsey is still alive.' I repeat over and over in my head while Hunter holds me close and lays his head on top of mine.

I must have dozed off because I feel myself being shaken awake.

I open my eyes and look at the clock. 4 am. Kelly is shaking my arm. I sit up and yawn. Hunter has moved to the hallway. I can see him through a window. He's sitting on a bench, clutching a Styrofoam cup in both hands, completely focused on it's contents.

He must have laid me down on the chairs. His jacket covers the top half of my body.

"Hon, your parents are here. They're downstairs."

I feel both relief and fear. I stand and stretch, starting to shake. I haven't seen them, or spoken to them since I packed everything into my car and drove away.

Hunter jumps up when I walk into the hall.

"My parents are here." I explain. "I'm going to go meet them.

"Oh, okay. I'll come with you."

In the elevator I wrap my arms around Hunter and hold my head against his left shoulder, I can hear his steady heartbeat. He clasps his arms around me. We ride all the way down to the ground floor like that.

I spot my parents as soon as I get off the elevator. I suck in a breath of air. They are talking to the police man from before and Kelsey's doctor.

"Um... Hunter, maybe I'd better do this alone."

"Okay." He nods. "But I'll be right here if you need me."

"Thanks."

He gives my hand a hard squeeze and I start moving forward. The cop has walked away now and I see mom's shoulders stoop with pain and worry.

I feel a sudden dull ache in the middle of my chest. I didn't realize how much I missed them. I didn't realize how much I needed my mom's reassuring hug. I've missed my family.

I stop about 3 feet from where they stand, their backs are to me.

"Hi mom... dad."

They turn. The next thing I know I feel a hard back of a hand connecting with my face. I stumble back in shock.