Chapter 7 Nashville Bound

When I leave the audition room I am shaking so hard. I hope they liked me.

I took Hunter's advice and poured my heart and soul into 'Flying Away' but I did mess up 3 times. I'm still kicking myself for it. Everyone was nice except for one women. She had a pinched up face and hard eyes.

I blame her for my screwing up, the first time my fingers slipped it was because I looked up and saw her boring her eyes into me.

I clench and unclench my hands again while I head over to my Aunt's shop. 'It is what it is.' I tell myself. I know I gave it my all.

I can never believe the time warp that occurs stepping into my Aunt's pawn shop. The rustic feel, the ever-running antique clock in the far corner, my cousin, Timothy, behind the counter. He's 9 years older than I am but he's a big goof.

He's with a customer so I retrieve the key for the apartment and bolt up the back stairs. It's the place next to the apartment where Kelly and Tim live, I haven't seen it since Kelsey and I were very little and we played house in it all day, causing great panic when our parents couldn't find us.

I walk through the door and take a look around, it's a lot smaller than I remember. One bedroom with a full bathroom accessible through the bedroom, an L-shaped kitchen, and a maybe 12 foot square room that serves as the living room, which is also where you enter. If I do indeed end up moving here, and Kelsey too, we are either going to need bunk beds, or more likely I will end up on a pull out couch in the living room.

I jump up, sitting on the kitchen counter I'm perched on the edge. I check my messages, texting Kelsey, and trying not to flip out. With still shaking hands I pull a well-worn note out of my pocket. It came in the mail right before I left for Nashville, no return address.

'Hello, I am writing this letter to tell you that you are an inspiration. I love your music and I can't wait to hear you on the radio. -a fan'

Short and simple but the words definitely reached right to my heart. I almost gave up about half a dozen times driving here, but that note kept me pointed in the right direction. It gives me a shot of encouragement every time I read it.

I have a fan.

I look at my phone again, as if staring at my screen will make them call faster. They told me I would hear back within the week, and yes or no I've decided to tell my parents what my plans are when I get home. I've hidden from them long enough.

I can't stand being alone with my thoughts for one more second. I leap down and tear out of the apartment like I can tear myself right out of this situation. I descend the stairs that lead back to the shop.

"Like it?" Tim asks.

At first I am confused, 'oh the apartment.' "Yeah, it's great."

"It'll be so great to have you guys here. Our last renters were terrible, they moved out in the middle of the night and left the place a total mess. I'm hoping we can count on you two to be dependable renters."

Tim sounds older than the last time we talked, I don't really like it. He used to be all video games and sports.

"Hey, we haven't taken the place yet. And if we do you can count on a lot of wild parties." I try to joke.

He gives me a stern look. I busy myself with helping clean the windows. Deep in thought I think about how everything changes so fast. Some ways for the better, some ways for the worst. All I can do is hope for the best and try to make the best happen.

_

The phone call comes at 10:30 on the following Monday. I let my phone go to voice mail because I am working the switchboard. When my shift is over I check my phone. I just about drop dead when I recognize the number. I start shaking, 'I don't think I can do this.' I make the decision to drive home before listening to it. My future is contained in this message, excited or crushed I will not be stable after I know the outcome.

When I get home I figure I can wait for Kelsey, I've got some things to think over before I talk with mom and dad tonight. I'll prepare for the worst and then if I did get it I can tell them the best.

By the time Kelsey walks through the door after school I am a complete nervous wreck. I am replaying my audition over and over in my head.

I throw my phone at her.

"Message from Atlantic Records," I explain.

"And?"

"I don't know I didn't listen to it yet."

"What?!"

"I can't I'm freaking out to bad."

Normally, Kelsey would tell me to buck up and listen to the message, but she must see the pure look of terror in my face.

"Password?"

"2792"

Kelsey presses the numbers and listens. For a split second there is silence, then her eyes go wide.

"You did it."

Good thing I am sitting down in a kitchen chair because I would have fallen down flat if I was standing.

"You did it!" Kelsey screams, picking me up with unnatural strength and jumping up and down.

I take it in slowly, then I start laughing and jumping along with her.

There are about a million things running through my head. But I let them all go for now. I'm just going to enjoy this moment.

-

I take a deep breath. Diner is over and I've got the important news of the night. I've got 3 weeks to leave the radio station and move to Tennessee, where I have to sign papers so I can join the label. But right now, I've got to do the hardest part.

I shoot Kelsey a warning look, telling her to brace herself.

She gives me an encouraging smile.

"Mom... Dad... I have some news... I've got a job offer in Tennessee and I am taking it."

"Honey, that's amazing! How great, working in marketing! With which company?" Mom enthuses.

Oh boy, I knew I shouldn't have danced around the real reason I went to Nashville.

"Actually... I'm going to be a musician... I've got a deal with Atlantic Records."

Dad gets up and walks out of the room.

"Oh, well. Andrea... good for you."

"I'm sorry mom, I know I should have said something earlier but I didn't know if I would get it and I was too nervous." I sigh, thankful that my mom seems to support my decision.

"And that means I get to go to college in Tennessee right?" Kelsey pounces.

"We'll talk later." Mom answers levelly and slowly.

I'm kind of glad I'll be gone for that conversation.

I am sure I will be involved in the drama, but being detached will make things so much easier.

I wonder how long it will be before dad blows up.