Chapter 8 Getting Started

He never did explode at me. He also didn't speak to me again.

Even when I left, he wasn't there. He doesn't want anything to do with me.

I rub my temples. I've finished filling out paperwork as of two days ago. Now I sit in my managers office. We've been talking in the same circle for the last hour.

I've given a compilation of about half of my songs to her, but they have to figure out who I am before they can proceed with the production my title album.

Evidently, my voice sounds like Reba mixed with LeAnn Rimes, or so they keep telling me. I am okay with that, I just can't quite hear it for myself though. I hum quietly at my feet, trying to hear myself.

"No, I don't think you are hearing me Andrea," my manager tells me in a firm voice.

April Faire, pinch face lady with the stone cold eyes, is my manager. I'm almost positive she hates me. And I don't think I like her much either.

"Okay, let's try this... describe yourself in 3 words."

I lean back, my mind completely closed off to any new ideas. I couldn't have an original thought to save my life.
"No idea." I really don't want to play along.

April throws up her hands in defeat. She paces back and forth behind her desk, my mind sees her like a cat, ready to spring on a defenseless mouse that is just out of reach.

"Alright, new approach... you know other artists, what they are like, describe them."

"Who?"

"Lady Antebellum."

"Classy, harmonious, kind."

"Keith Urban."

"Cool, fun."

"Miranda Lambert."

"Sassy, angry, girly."

"See where I am going with this?" She asks.

"Yes, but it is impossible for me to describe myself like that."

"We could start with 'stubborn.'"

I glare at her over her desk. Yep, I really don't like her.

"Fine," she sighs, "describe Toby Keith."

"All-American, drinking, funny, opinionated."

"Hunter Hayes."
"Honest, cute, energetic."

"You forgot talented and funny."

I jump in surprise at the voice behind me.

"Oh Hunter, glad you could join us." April's voice drips with cynicism.

"Always a pleasure April."

I avoid looking at him, instead I stare at my hands, clasped in my lap.

"What can I help you with?" He asks her. Jumping into the seat next to me.

"Well, since you have taken such a 'keen interest' in Ms. Kent's career, your manager and I thought it would be appropriate for you to show her the ropes around here. Also, we've got some spots to fill for her album, I was hoping we could count on you to help her write one of the songs. If that's not too much trouble." Her words seem respectful but her tone is demeaning.

I start to wonder if April likes anybody.

"Hey, if my manager okayed it then I am completely on board."

"Wonderful. That is all."

She picks up a file from her desk and opens it.

Hunter springs up and starts to leave.

"Aren't you forgetting something?"

I look at her. "Oh, I'm supposed to go too?"

"Yes, we are finished here."

I get up slowly and follow Hunter out. But I am still seeing red. What's wrong with my songs? Why wasn't I informed I would be writing with others before this? Now I have no choice. Why do I have to have a stupid image? Can't I just be me instead of a predetermined shell of a human?

"So, what would you like to see first?"

I am so lost in thought, I don't process the question. Something else April said is getting at me.

"What'd she mean you took a 'keen interest' in my career?"

He continues walking, side by side we are about the same height, I think I have an inch or two on him though.

"Well... I just might have talked you up around here after I saw you perform... and your demo might have traveled around a bit."

My heels squeak on the floor as I stop walking.

"You didn't."

"Yep." He turns, a little half smile on his face.

"Thank you." It's all I can push past my lips. I take another breath and clear my throat. "Now I feel even guiltier about not being nicer to you that night."

We pick up our pace again.

"I thought you were nice, a little distant maybe. I did get the feeling when we first met, though, that you didn't like me, was I right or was that all in my head?"

I laugh. "Truthfully, I didn't want to meet you. I was there for my sister. But you know what? You're much cooler than I first thought."

"Gee, thanks."

"No, I mean it, you don't annoy me nearly as much anymore."

"That's funny, because you are getting more and more annoying each time I talk to you."

I would take offense but with a quick glance I can see that his eyes are dancing with laughter and I know he's kidding.

"You're a twerp," I tell him.

"And you're a bit of a hot head from what I hear, so I guess we're even." He's full out laughing now.

"I'd like to see the recording studios now."

"Right this way."

He gestures and I follow, my laughter joining his as he dashes down the hall.