Chapter 16 Final Cut

Chapter 16
-
Blue Jeans, Blue Sky
Wild Heartbreak
Aftermath
A Hero To Me
When You Can't Remember
Dancing Around the Rain
Rebels and Renegades
Star Crossed Daydreams
Dodge Ball
Because You Didn't
Eyes Like the Creek Back Home
Hard Earned Trust
Time Again
-
I smile at the list. 2 of mine made it. It's the best feeling in the world.
The songs are taped up in studio 3, we've been working on them for two weeks. And we're getting pretty good, if I do say so myself. The song Blue Jeans, Blue Sky has been slated to be my first single.

I don't care if Hunter's name is on the title, I'm just happy the song is one of mine.

Tomorrow we are shooting my first music video and I'd like to say that I am pumped but my emotions have been too rocky for me to be excited about anything.

I've been dodging Hunter since that night in my apartment. Things just feel too weird between us.

When we've wrapped up for the day and I am saying goodbye to the band Jason hangs around a little longer, he walks me to the parking lot. He's the closest to my age out of anyone in the band, maybe 25. He has shaggy, blond hair and his personality reminds me of a golden lab.

"So, since we're both off for the evening would you like to grab a drink?"

I consider the offer. A drink is a long way from anything else, but it could also be the start of something that I do not want.

I am about to decline when I see Hunter walking out of the building.

"You know what? I'd love to."

We decide to take my car and I can't help but glance out of my window when we drive past Hunter out of the lot.

He doesn't look bothered but he does watch us. I wave and smile. He waves and looks at his phone, no doubt looking at a text from one of his numerous girlfriends.

Jason and I end up at the same bar that Hunter took me to before.

Jason is such a big goof, he's genuine and he enjoys making people laugh. Hanging out with him is a lot of fun.

While we are sitting at a table talking a couple guys walk in and wave at Jason. They come over and say hi, they look really familiar.

"You're Andi right?" The guy with dreadlocks asks me.

"Yes, and you are... sorry, I can't remember your name."

"Matt, you don't know me, I've just seen you around. It's nice to finally meet you."

"Oh! You're in Hunter's band." Everything clicks in my mind, and the other guy's name is Andy, easy enough to remember.

"We've heard a lot about you," Andy informs me.

"I wish I could say the same about you but I really haven't heard that much."

"Well, we've been pretty busy," Jason offers up for me.

"Right!" I must sound like a self-centered jerk. I shoot Jason a grateful look. "Well I'm going to go get another drink, can I get anyone else something?"

Receiving a bunch of 'no thank yous' I get up and head for the bar.

While waiting for my drink I hear a familiar voice beside me.

"Hunter?"

"Andi, fancy seeing you here. Having fun?"

"Oh yeah, loads. I met Andy and Matt, they seem pretty cool." I look over at the table where the three guys have settled into a boisterous conversation.

"Yeah, they are, and a lot of fun too."

"They said you talk about me."

"In passing, yeah. They know how much is riding on your success. If you fall flat than I am partially to blame and I get in trouble."

"Gee, thanks for your vote of confidence."

"No, I didn't mean it like that. You are not going to fall flat, sorry."

"No it's fine," his comment has left a stinging pain in the corner of my heart. I never thought he doubted my abilities. "So, you've gotta hot date later?"

"Naw, just hanging with the guys tonight."

"Cool." My partying spirit has completely gone out of me. "Well, actually I should get going. Long day tomorrow."

I turn to leave, "um..." I turn back around. "Could you please make sure Jason gets back to his car at the studio, okay?"

"Sure, no problem."

I find my way back to Jason, who has been joined by the rest of Hunter's band, and Mike. I make an excuse and head for home.

I have no room for boys, no room for doubt. I need to concentrate on what's really important. The music.

"Kelsey?" I call out as I let myself into the apartment.

No answer. I shoot her a text to check up. Then I go into the bedroom and fall flat on the bed. I miss my little sister, we haven't hung out or talked in forever. And lately, there just seems to be a wall between us. Hopefully things will calm down after the album comes out in a couple months.

I decide on a long soaking bubble bath and my iPod in it's speaker dock. I choose Billy Joel as my artist of choice, it just seems like a Billy Joel kind of night.

While I am basking in the relaxing heat of the hot water I hear the door open and voices outside.

"Kels?" I ask, drawing the shower curtain up so only my eyes can peek around it.

The door opens an inch.

"Oh, sorry. I didn't know you'd be home."

"No problem, I'll be out in a minute."

"No it's fine, Derek and I will leave you to relax."

"Wait, Derek?" I've heard a couple of phone conversations she's had with him, from what I've heard he sounds like trouble.

"Bye." Kelsey closes the door. I hear them hurrying to leave, the door closing firmly behind them.

'Derek?' I sink down deeper into the suds, boys always make things more complicated.

I close my eyes as 'Running On Ice' starts to play and I try to forget my complicated and slippery life.