Chapter 6 Surprises

"I don't know, maybe if you'd just do more modern stuff or something."

"Kelsey stop, I'm not changing my act."

She's been after me for the last 3 weeks. Ever since the concert she's gotten peskier and peskier.

"What's wrong with the songs I do now? I still throw new ones in the mix sometimes and the audience seems to like it."

"You just never know who might be watching, and your audition thing is less than a month away."

She sits at my dresser table, reapplying her makeup for "girls night." I'm pretty sure Alex is going to be at the mall, her phone is blowing up more than usual.

"Are you sure I can't convince you to do your face?"

I sit cross-legged on my bed, working on the lyrics to my most recent song. I can't quite work out the chorus.

"No."

"So have you decided what song you're going to do for Atlantic Records?"

"Really not sure." Her questions are annoying but I let her keep talking.

"You should practice on stage tonight."

"Oh, and which song would you suggest?"

"I like 'Misunderstandings.'"

"Yes I know you do," I laugh. "Haven't you heard it enough?"

"Never."

I smile, truthfully, it is one of my favorites too. I wrote it after I graduated, it was about one of my friends. The friend is long gone but the memories remain.

Kelsey finishes her beauty regiment and comes after me. I deflect her hand and send her eyeshadow flying.

"Andi!"

"I told you, no war paint!"

She retrieves her makeup from a pile of dirty clothes.

"Someday, you're going to be famous and you're going to have to let someone make you look good."

I slide off of my bed and collect my papers.

"Come on, let's get going." I don't want to talk about my audition or my future anymore. I just want to get to that stage, I just want to lose myself in the music.

"So," Kelsey starts as we're driving to the mall, "I have some news."

I have no idea what news Kelsey could have that I wouldn't know about.

"Yeah?"

"I am going to be attending Tennessee state in the fall."

I hit the breaks as a traffic light changes from yellow to red. I turn and gape at Kelsey.

"What?"

"Yep, it's all gonna work. I'm telling mom and dad tonight. Aunt Kelly and Tim have a room over their pawn shop that they can rent out to us, super cheap."

"But I haven't even gotten signed yet, how could you make plans like this without talking about it with me first?!?"

"Easy, I called and she said yes. And stop talking like you're not going to get signed."

"There is no way, dad'll never let you."

Kelsey grins outright. "I fixed that too. I told dad you were looking into 'business opportunities' in Tennessee. He said IF that all worked out I could go with you."

"Dad must not think I have much of a chance."

"Nope, and that made the deal all that much easier."