Chapter 10 Projects

I am in a surly mood by the end of recording, I can't help it, April keeps yelling at me.

I keep pushing to get through it, telling myself that things will get easier as I get into the swing of things.

April reminds me of my meeting tomorrow as I head out the door, apparently I am also going to be assigned to a band after the meeting.

I just want to get out of here. I dodge out of the building and narrowly miss hitting Hunter with the door. I threw it open so wide. He's standing just outside in the crisp March air, talking on the phone.

"Really Beth, I can't make it tonight... Yeah I know, I'm sorry... Another time... Just a project... okay... Bye."

For a moment I almost turn around and ask who Beth is but I'm not staying here one second more than I have to.

"Hey, Andi!"

I hear footfalls behind me.

"What?" I turn, the reply comes out sharper than I intended.

"Woah!" Hunter draws back, "whadid I do?"

"Sorry, nothing. Just stressed."

"No kidding, you've got an important meeting tomorrow. Any ideas yet?"

I sigh, "no."

"Need some help?"

I look at him, curious, "how could you help?''

Hunter has a glint in his eyes that I can't quite place. It's got a wild look to it though that I don't associate with him.

"Come on," Hunter strolls over to his car, "hop in."

"But I heard you say you had a project."

"I do. You."

My temper rises but I keep it in check, remembering his 'hot head' comment.

I walk over to his car and get in the passenger seat.

"How am I your project?"

"We're going to figure out just who Andi Kent is."

"That's ambitious."

"Well, the way I figure, you've got 2 main options, with several sub groups."

I laugh, Hunter sounds like my science teacher.

"Option one; pretty, innocent, and a sweetheart, or number two; cold-hearted, with an attitude problem. So let's start with eliminating one of the two."

"And just how are we going to do that?"

"You'll find out."

Before too long we pull up to a building.

"Really, a bar? You brought me to a bar?"

"What?... Oh, you're 21 right?"

"Last time I checked."

"Good, because that's kind of important."

It's almost 7 and the place is packed.

Hunter manages to find two stools at the high back counter.

When he orders shots I gawk at him.

"You don't have to look so shocked." He laughs at my dropped jaw.

"I'm sorry, you're always just so... I don't know, clean. I don't associate you with alcohol at all!"

"Relax, we're just going to loosen you up a bit, I'm going to see if I can get you to be yourself."

"But I am myself."

"No, I don't think you are. Unless you are angry and loudmouthed around everyone. Because that's how you are around me."

I feel ashamed, he's done so much for me. Do I really treat him that terribly?

He passes me a glass and orders a beer for himself. I hesitate to take it.

"Come on," he urges. "Bring back that funny girl from the meet and greet line."

I take it and down the liquid in one fluid motion. Hunter's managed to rub me the wrong way again. I have no idea how someone can make you feel like the most amazing girl in the world one second then make you want to punch his ridiculously attractive face a moment later.

I make a face as the alcohol burns my throat.

Hunter chuckles at my face and takes a drink from his bottle.

"So," he says, starting to peel the label off of the brown bottle. "No doubt you know my story, everybody seems to. But I am completely in the dark about yours. How did you end up here?"

His interest seems sincere, I take another glass and decide to tell him.

"Well, my dad's a professor, he teaches music history. He's really into the culture part though, not so much the music part, unless it's classical. My grandmother was the real reason I got into music. When I was 3 she started teaching me piano. I loved spending time with her so I didn't care what she made me do.

I was in my first recital when I was 4. My father got it in his head that I was going to grow up to become a famous concert piniest. But when I was 8 I got a guitar from a pawn shop, it cost $20. I thought it was the most beautiful thing in the world. I spent all of my free time trying to figure out how to play it. I had to beg for lessons because grandma didn't know how to play."

I pause, thinking I am going on for too long. But Hunter keeps looking steadily at me, so I continue.

"Anyway, I had my awkward teenage years, like everyone else, and I joined choir, band, and drama. I was that person who was friends with everyone but nobody thought of me as best friends. I didn't mind, I just found out that I craved the stage more than friends... not the attention, I don't know... just being up there, it was the closest I ever felt to being comfortable, to being truly happy."

"I understand. So where did the attitude come from?" He seems completely serious.

"Hormones, and my father." I retort, finding my anger rising again.

Hunter laughs, "You know, you are witty and sassy, but I think that's all a front. It just isn't your style musically. What kind of voice are you wanting to establish, what message?"

"Meaningful, I want to help others. I want to sing about value and worth. Party songs and songs about love are alright and fun... but I want to be more than a party girl or an attractive face."

"Interesting. Well thank you for sharing that with me." He leaps up and grabs his drink, "well, see you later."

"Wait, where are you going?" Did I say something wrong?

"Oh, don't worry, I'm not leaving. I'm just going to take a step back, I wanna see how you handle yourself."

"With what?" He is making zero sense.

"You'll see," he grins and walks off.

I look down at the bar, not sure what to do. My foot taps against the stool's support beam, in time with the music blasting over the bar's radio.

"This seat taken?"

I jump in surprise and look over at some random guy who just spoke to me, "um.... I guess not."

"What are you drinking?"

I know he's going to offer to buy me another drink, I think about shooting him down, but then decide to go with it.

'Might as well have some fun.' I think to myself as I let him buy me a drink.