Chapter 22 Wild Thoughts

The excitement never goes away. Every night that I perform is another miracle, another opportunity to do something great.

I'm slowly getting over the pre-show jitters but I'm guessing they're never going to completely go away.

Another thing I don't think I will ever get used to is the people who tell me how much I mean to them, how I have helped them. I am a very mistrusting person, there is just no way I can move all of these people.

I run off the stage for the 10th time, I mentally check off the date in my head. Tonight was alright, but not as good as it could have been. I kick myself, to be honest, I wasn't as focused because I was a little worried.

I received another letter from 'my fan' before the show, it was left under my dressing room door. No clue how it got there, I am too scared to tell anyone. I don't want to sound like a nutcase. Besides, it was an encouraging note, just stuff about being proud of what I have done and how amazing I sound.

The other reason I didn't do so hot tonight is Kelsey. Our conversations are getting shorter and shorter. Aunt Kelly isn't much help, she just tells me Kelsey's been really busy with classes and that she still hasn't heard from mom or dad in the last 3 weeks. Honestly, I never thought they'd abandon her for supporting me.

Back on the bus I sit in the lounge area all alone. The rest of the band decided to go out on the town tonight.

I line up each note that I have received from 'my fan' on the table in front of me. There are 2 clear sets of handwriting, that's easy to see. The fact that these people have traveled from New Orleans to Nashville to... 'where am I? Oh right, Chicago.'

I bury my head in my arms and choke back a sob, followed by a second one. I don't cry very often, and there's really no reason to cry, I'm just overwhelmed.

I hear a faint knock, it must be coming from outside of the bus. For a second I panic, I am all by myself on a bus in the middle of a huge city, and it's dark out.

I sniff and wipe my eyes then I stand and peek out of the window. I know that outline. I shuffle the letters into an open notebook and shut it. Then I run to open the door.

"You alright?" He asks right off the bat as a greeting.

"Yeah, I'm fine. How about you?"

"I'm good, where is everybody?" Hunter bounds past me onto the bus.

"Out, having fun."

"And why aren't you 'out, having fun' with them?"

"Didn't feel like it, what are you doing here?"

"Borrowing a cup of sugar from my neighbor?"

"Ha ha, very funny." I notice one of the letters is sticking out of the notebook.

Hunter looks where I am looking and his face lights up.

"What's this? A new song, a love letter?" He crosses the small length of the room and snatches the piece of paper.

"NO!" I leap after him, but he holds the letter up, catching my arm with his free hand, holding me back. "Hunter, please?"

He must hear the panic in my voice. He looks at me instead of the paper, his brow furrowed.

"What is this?"

"Just a letter from a fan."

"Why don't you want anyone to read it?"

"Because... I don't know... it's starting to get weird."

"It's fan mail, of course it could be 'weird.'"