Chapter 2 Flying Solo

Maybe the concert's not going to be so bad. I've almost convinced myself of that as I walk into the radio station the next day.

"Hey Karl!" I wave at the fill-in switchboard guy as I walk past the booth. Normally that's my booth. Not today.

My 3 years of interning are finally paying off, even if it's only for a day, I get to run the show. Kelsey and her friends always say I have a face for radio. As much as I don't want to believe it, I am starting to.

I get all settled in, hurrying as I know I'll only have another minute or so to prepare. I read over my promos and check the monitor in front of me for layout. My heart skips a beat; 1 hour of song requests.

My biggest fear. What if no one calls in?

I push the thought as far away from my mind as I can.

Then I'm getting the go ahead signal, the 'on air' light flicks on.

"Good afternoon New Orleans! Welcome back to 98.6 the Crash. This is Andrea and I will be taking you until the 6 o'clock hour. But to start, let's kick things off with a classic."

I start up a Travis Tritt song and lean back. I swivel around in the chair, enjoying the power.

I stare at the mirror that is placed so we can see if someone is coming into the booth from the hallway. I can see myself just in the far corner.

My bird-like nose and muddy green eyes stare back at me and I look away, yuck. I distract myself by tying back my thick, dark brown, wavy hair. I am proud of how long it's gotten since I cut it after high school.

The song ends and I pull myself up to the microphone. "That was 'Anymore' by Travis Tritt."

I talk a little bit and switch to a celebrity intro.

"Hey guys, Hu'ner Hayes here and this is 'Tattoo.'"

'Oh, hello Hunter.' I smile to myself. Okay maybe it will be cool to meet this guy. At least I get to watch Kelsey fall all over him. She's pretty entertaining when she's flipping out.

And now I am back to being annoyed. Like 'Tattoo' wasn't already stuck in my head for the last day.

I really thought I would be more nervous, but I am in my element. I was born to perform.

The next time I glance at the clock it's already 4:30. I ready myself for requests.

Deep breaths, I've got this.

5:00 on the dot. "Hello there, we're heading home on this Friday evening. Hope everyone's had a good week. We are taking requests so call in and we'll carry you home with your favorites."

I turn off the mic and switch on the next song. I can't help bouncing and laughing a little; nailed it.

And the call lines are starting to light up and I begin fielding calls.

About 30 seconds into the first call I realize I forgot to turn on the phone recorder.

"I'm sorry sir we are having some technical difficulties," I cut the caller off, covering for myself. "Could you please start over?"

I feel so stupid, I should have remembered that.

6:00 comes with no more problems. And I hand off the booth to the next person.

"Nice job," Karl tells me as I walk into the booth to put some stuff away. "First time, right?"

"Yeah, thanks." I feel proud. Karl is semi-retired and he had his own show for years. Praise from him is special. "See ya Monday, have a nice weekend."