Chapter 14 Song Struggles

Kelsey hangs up her phone. "Mom says hi," she tells me.

I smile, I haven't talked to my parents in 4 months, and it isn't from lack of trying. I am the disappointment, Kelsey is the star.

I've been too buried at the studio, though, so I don't have much free time to miss them.

April and I are in another epic battle. I think the only way this one will end will be in one of us killing the other.

There are 13 slots to fill on my album and 40 songs in the running. 3 of those 40 were my choices, and I had to fight for those spots tooth and nail.

Two weeks ago April pulled me into a meeting with the producer and a couple of executives. I was handed the list and was told those songs were in the final running for my album.

I left the meeting in a fury. Storming off to hide in the small sitting room. Angry for feeling like I don't know what I am doing, mad at them for not giving me a say in my album.

When I reached the room I didn't even turn on the light, I just felt my way to the corner between the couch and the desk. I sat there and pulled my knees up to my chin, hugging them tight to my body.

I have no idea how long I sat there, feeling sorry for myself, angry at the world.

The light was flicked on suddenly and I was blinded, making me even more irritated.

"Andi?"

"Hunter?" I squinted into the brightness, "what are you doing here?" I hadn't seen him for a few weeks and I didn't expect him to be back at the studio for a while.

"I could ask you the same thing." He ducked into the room and closed the door firmly behind him.

"Here, I was going to leave this for you." He sat on the end of the couch and handed me a piece of paper with lyrics scribbled across it, I immediately recognized them as mine. With how busy I had been I had completely forgotten about it.

I gasped, "Blue Jeans, Blue Sky!"

"So that's what it's called, I was wondering."

"Thank you so much!"

"No problem, hope you can use it for your album."

My face fell.

"Uh-oh, problems on that front?"

I shook my head, not wanting to bother him with anymore of my problems.

"Aww, big bad Andi's gonna take on the whole world by herself. How cute." Hunter started mocking me.

I snapped, "you don't know me, stop pretending you know me. It's my album, my music. I don't want to be a silent opinion, an attractive face, a party girl." I spat it out, venom dripping on every word.

"You know, I was a new artist once. I dealt with the same issues you are going through." Hunter sounded calm, and not nearly as mad as he should.

"How did you do it? Have a say? You had so much say in your first album. I don't get it."

"Patience, time, a lot of hard work. You just need to prove yourself. Not just to them but to yourself. Do something they don't expect of you."

I sat and thought about that advice for a long time after Hunter left. Then I did something. I got 5 songs that I wanted on the album and I recorded their demos. Setting everything up and carrying it out, without April's approval.

I presented them to her, I stated my case for each one, and I was rewarded with 3 spots. I still don't know if they will be chosen but it's a start.

Tomorrow I find out which songs make the cut. I am so nervous.

I return home to an empty apartment. Kelsey's out with some friends from work.

I pull out an envelope that a secretary gave me before I left the studio. She said it came with the regular mail, no return address.

I open it carefully, I recognize the envelope but the careful writing on the front is different from the first 2.

'Dear Andi, I hope this finds its way to you, and I hope you are happy. I heard about your big break and I wanted to congratulate you on your accomplishments and on your future career. I will be at your first concert, make no mistake. -A Fan'

The note makes me feel better, but it also confuses me. The writing is definitely different, what in the world? I have started to receive fan mail of course, but this is my first fan. I know that means something special. I imagine it's a couple or something like that, the last two looked like they were written by a women, this one is messier, like a man's.

I go digging in my cupboards for something to eat. Right now canned soup and prepackaged food have become my best friends.

I take out my phone as it goes off and I answer it without looking at the caller id.

"Hello?"

"Hey Andi?" It's Hun'er, How's it goin'?"

"Hi Hunter, I'm good. You?"

"Yeah, doin' good. So I was wondering if you were busy tonight?"

"Um... no, I don't think so... why?"

"Well, I've got this thing to go to tonight, some fancy charity thing and my date fell through. There's going to be a lot of big names showing up. I thought it would be a good opportunity for you to make some connections in the music world."

I'm confused, is he asking me?

"Okay..."

"Oh, sorry. I wanted to know if you'd like to come with me?"'

I freeze for a minute... I'm not sure why Hunter is asking me. In the last few weeks I have met 3 different girls a the shows Hunter's hosted and performed at, and heard him talking to at least 5 different girls on the phone. For having such a quiet love life Hunter sure gets around.

"Andi, you still there?"

"Yeah, um... how fancy are we talking? You know I don't like dressing up."

"Dinner party? Yeah, that should be good. I'll pick you up at 7."

Okay, and now he thinks I've accepted. I look down at the Cambles soup can in my hand and weigh my options.

"Sounds good."

"Awesome, I'll see you soon."

I look at the clock, it's already after 6! I run to my closet and start burrowing to the back.

I think I brought my dress clothes when I moved here.

I hear my phone start to sing, it's 'Wildflower,' Kelsey's ring tone. I pull it out and lose my balance, I end up on the floor among the shoes.

"Hello," I murmur trying to mask the pain in my elbow, which I fell on.

"Hey!" She sounds like she's someplace loud. "Just letting you know that I won't be home until late."

"No problem, neither will I... Kels, where are you?"

"At a friend's, don't worry I won't forget, tomorrow is my night to cook. Gotta go. Bye."

I sigh and pull myself up. 5 minutes later one thing is clear, I don't have a single thing 'dinner party' worthy.

I turn my attention to Kelsey's half of the closet. I'm sure she won't mind my borrowing something.