Chapter 21 Twenty One Shows, This Is Number One

I'm standing by the steps leading up to the stage, trying to calm down. This is so much bigger than I expected, so much more surreal.

I try to move but I am frozen in place. My band is already up there, I've got less than one minute.

I nearly jump out of my skin when someone places a hand on my arm.

"Hey, you're going to do great." Hunter's voice buzzes in my ear, I can barely hear him over my drumming heartbeat.

"I can't." I look at him, eyes wild.

"Yes you can. You are capable of so much more than you think. You just need to start having faith in yourself. Now get up there."

He gives me a light push and it's enough to get me to start up the stairs.

The light hits me and people are cheering. I set up my guitar and take my place at the microphone.

The intro to 'Wild Heartbreak' starts and I lose everything but the music. My voice comes in at just the right time.

We go through the first 3 songs with little to no effort, I feel like we're in the studio, just with a lot of background noise and bright lights.

'Dancing Around the Rain' is a little bit more of a challenge. The set up allows me to walk around, a little choreography, a bunch of chances for me to fall or mess up.

I start to involve the crowd a little and finally, much to my relief, the song ends and I relax a little. One more song, 'Dodge Ball' it has an exciting bounce in the tune, I think it's a fun song but it's the one song that I had little to no say in writing.

I finish and run off stage, completely buzzed on the energy from the audience.

Hunter comes up to me and clutches my arms, he says something but I am unable to process, the loud music still plugs up my ears.

"What?!?"

"You did it, that was great!" His voice breaks through, he must be yelling really loud.

"Thanks, I'll see ya up there!"

I give him a thumbs up and run off to my dressing room. I am the first one there.

I laugh and fall onto a giant, lumpy couch. Laughter keeps bubbling up from my stomach, I just can't stop.

By the time others start filtering into the room I have managed to regain control.

Everyone's super pumped and the excitement hangs thick in the air.

The band is done for the night, but I'm not. I've got one more song.

While everyone else remains behind I go back to the stairs by the stage. I watch Hunter perform, he's got so much to teach me. He's got so much talent.

He feeds off of the crowd and gives back twice as much to them with his energy and enthusiasm. I remind myself to ask him how he keeps so much going while he's performing and how he can keep up with it.

It's amazing how fast time flies when I keep remembering that I've got one more song to do.

Someone hands me a mic as I am given the go ahead and I take the stage for the second time.

Hunter has a sheen of sweat covering his body and it glints off his skin in the brightly colored lights. You can tell he's given this show his all.

The music begins and I feel exposed, being on the stage without an instrument.

But there is a show to put on and Hunter is ready for action. He doesn't look tired at all, he just shoots me an excited grin.

This is the song that I am least worried about. I've got this, Hunter and I start playing off each other 'Easy' blasts throughout the stadium. I am having the most fun that I have had all night.