22 | everything is not what it seems

Ruby and Landon were seated side by side, with plates of sandwiches in front of them, that Seylah had prepared

Ruby and Landon were seated side by side, with plates of sandwiches in front of them, that Seylah had prepared. Landon was munching away on a sandwich, whilst Ruby didn't touch hers, not feeling hungry.

A small dog raced over to the pair, barking loudly. It seemed interested in Ruby, probably sensing that she was a werewolf, even though she hadn't triggered her curse. Ruby pat it on the head, before ripping off a small piece of her sandwich to feed to it.

Landon stood up, and walked over to a shelf of decor pieces, which Ruby also examined while sitting in her seat. He reached out for what looked like an ancient sword before Seylah ordered, "Don't touch that!" Ruby swung around on the chair, seeing the woman had entered the kitchen. Landon pointed to an urn, "Cool!" He chipped as Ruby offered her foster brother a small smile.

"You know.. Lan has pretty much told you his whole life story... but I don't think he knows anything about you." Ruby piped up, breaking the silence. Seylah gave Ruby a look, wishing she had stayed quiet. "Who are you, to Landon?" She asked, sternly. "I'm Landon's foster sister, I'm just making sure he settles in nicely before I head back to the Salvatore school." The Waithe explained to the woman.

"Is this an actual samurai sword?"

"Don't touch that, either!" Seylah huffed, before sighing. "Sorry, I'm just not used to having people around." She admitted. Landon then shook his head, "You don't have to apologize. This is, this is weird for me, too." He confessed.

"Well, in times of emotional distress, I find that dessert really helps, don't you?" Seylah asked. Ruby smiled, delighted by the mention of dessert. "Not exactly an expert on the subject." Landon said.

"Yes, you are."

"I'm sorry your life has been so hard, Landon, I really am." Seylah apologised as Landon looked confused, "I was talking about dessert." He said. "And I thought I was putting a positive spin on all the rest."

"I shudder to think that's true."

"Um, well, then I'm sorry, too. I know this is a lot to put on you, with me just showing up like this, but I'd really like to know more about..." Landon trailed off as the dog panted heavily before it suddenly fainted. "Oh my god.." Ruby blurted out with worry.

Seylah looked to Ruby, "You didn't feed her from the table, did you?" She asked as Ruby awkwardly nodded, "I've— I've never had a dog. I had no idea that this would happen."

"Relax. She'll be fine. The drugs will wear off soon." Seylah said as Ruby's face fell before she sternly asked, "What drugs?" Suddenly another thud was heard as Landon fainted, falling to the floor. Ruby raced to the Kirby's side. "Lan? Landon? Wake up!" The pinkette shook him.

Seylah looked at the Waithe, confused. "Why aren't you passing out?" She asked as Ruby looked up at Seylah, whilst standing in front of the Kirby, protectively. "I didn't eat your sandwich, I wasn't hungry." Ruby quickly spoke, in a defensive tone.

Seylah then charged at Ruby and the dormant werewolf shoved her away. Quickly she took hold of the dial on Landon's watch and twisted it, hoping to warn Hope that they were in trouble.

A pie cutter was thrown in Ruby's direction, and the girl ducked before looking at Seylah in surprise. "That's fucking dangerous." She huffed before charging at Seylah, tackling the woman to the ground.

Both Seylah and Ruby rolled around on the floor, fighting eachother. Ruby looked like she was winning, but was then knocked unconscious by a heavy object that Seylah had managed to grab from nearby and knock her with it.

❤︎

Ruby's eyes fluttered open, but widened once she realised she was restrained to a chair. The pinkette tried to wriggle her way out of the restraints, but had been unsuccessful. "Landon?" Ruby called out, looking to her left to see Landon starting to regain consciousness.

"Ruby?! Oh thank god I'm not alone." Landon blurted before looking around. He began to feel quite claustrophobic, and started to breathe quickly. "Hey, hey Landon. Deep breaths, we're gonna get out of here." Ruby assured him, though she had no idea how.

"Seylah, Seylah, please." Landon begged. "I-I-I didn't want to burden you with this, but I don't... I don't do well in captivity." He cried out. Seylah looked at the pair, not saying a word. "Seylah, Seylah, I'm sorry. I-I-I..."

"Who sent you?" Seylah demanded, as Ruby frowned, "Excuse me? What are we supposed to say— Jesus? We came here on our own terms." She grumbled in response. "I already told you my miserable life story. Nobody gives a crap about me." Landon piped up.

"Quit playing games. Who'd you call?" Seylah growled at the duo. "I don't even have a phone!" Landon responded. "I never said you did." Seylah admitted, looking to Ruby who had been texting Rafael while in the kitchen earlier. She had been messaging her twin constantly, Rafael probably felt like Ruby had never left his side.

"You wouldn't believe me." Landon sighed. "What I don't believe is you're my son. So I suggest you spill your guts before the iron heats up." Seylah hissed, threatening the pair.

Steam hissed loudly, causing Ruby to grow worried. She looked around, hoping to find some way out this sticky situation. She had managed to get herself and Rafael out of tough situations in the past, but it wasn't looking likely at this moment.

"Why so quiet? You wouldn't shut up when we were having lunch." Seylah poked. "I thought you believed me. Now I'm not giving you anything." Landon declared. Seylah looked to Ruby, expecting something, but the pinkette just glared at her in response.

"Everyone talks... eventually." Seylah spoke suggestively, causing Landon and Ruby to share a worried glance. "Please don't do this. I swear to you I am telling you the truth. I am your son!" Landon pleaded. "Stop saying that, or I'll burn your lips shut."

"The Salvatore School. That's who I called." Ruby speoke up. "That boarding school I was telling you about? It's a school for vampires and witches and werewolves and... Because they're real." Landon added. "...And so are dragons and gargoyles and freaking talking trees and I don't know what else!" The werewolf concluded.

Seylah stayed quiet, not objecting to what she had heard. This caused Ruby to frown, "So you easily believe all of this but not that Landon is your son?" She asked in complete disbelief.

Seylah continued to stay quiet, frowning at the children. "They're here.. they must have followed you!" She seethed before she quickly jogged away, leaving the pair unattended. "Hey!! Untie us!! Ugh— this bitch." Ruby groaned as the pair are left alone.

A loud sound was heard upstairs, causing the foster siblings to look at eachother with worry. "Seylah?!" Landon called out. "By now I'm sure she's left us for dead.." Ruby grumbled.

"R..Ruby.." Landon spoke up, as the Waithe looked to the Kirby, seeing him stare at the stairs with worry. On the last step on the staircase stood a slimy looking monster, somewhat resembling a skeleton.

"Holy smokes." Landon blurted before saying, "We can talk about this!!" Ruby snorted in amusement before she added, "If you have a mouth."

Suddenly, Seylah reentered the room, attacking the monster from behind. The monster's body tipped over, it's head rolling in another direction, as Ruby felt queasy. "Ew."