10 | run wolf, or die

"To the roof and back in twenty seconds?" A girl asked Landon, Rafael and Ruby, in disbelief

"To the roof and back in twenty seconds?" A girl asked Landon, Rafael and Ruby, in disbelief. "Or we double your money." Ruby declared, as Rafael frowned at her for a moment, feeling like this was a stupid idea. "You're on. Ten bucks!" The girl decided, before she pulled out her phone from her back pocket and started a timer.

Landon clapped Rafael affectionately on the back. "You can do it Rafi." Ruby nudged him, encouragingly, as she could imagine them eating burgers, already.

Rafael, getting himself psyched up, nodded in agreement, "Yes!" Landon boomed excitedly in response. The girl set the timer before looking at Rafael as though he's already behind. "Twenty... Nineteen..."

Rafael rushed toward a wooden staircase in the alley, quickly rushing up the steps before leaping onto the railings. He hesitated for a moment and looked over at Landon, who nodded in reassurance, before squatting so he can leap almost six feet into the air. He grabbed onto the fire escape ladder quickly climbed it all the way to the top of the building. "He's not gonna make it." The girl said as Ruby just laughed, "Just you watch." She insisted.

Rafael, hearing this comment, looked over the edge of the roof before deciding to take his chance and simply leapt over the edge, landing on his feet with ease with one second to spare. Everyone else in the crowd, including Ruby, look impressed.

The timer went off, and everyone began to cheer and clap for him, Ruby and Rafael fistbumped, as Ruby offered her twin an impressed smile. The girl looked at Landon, with exasperation. What can I say? My boy's on fire." Landon said. "Pay up, love." Ruby added with a smirk.

"Triple or nothing!" A new voice suddenly spoke, as Rafael and Ruby's jaws dropped open in shock. Landon chuckled nervously. "Sir, we've already taken your money twice." He reminded the man. The man smiled at them before holding up a hundred dollar bill. "How about a hundred? But I want him to do it in ten seconds."

Rafael looked at the man, feeling uneasy. Ruby smirked, thinking of all of the burgers they could buy with a hundred dollar bill. She shared a look with Rafael before chirping, "Start the clock."

❤︎

Alaric rushed to his office, stopping when he realised he was being followed by Monica as he heard her heels tapping on the floor behind him. "Monica, what are you doing?" He asked, turning to the girl. Monica shrugged, "Coming with you, obvi." She replied as Alaric frowned and went to protest but Monica quickly replied, "You're human. I think you need a protector as neither of your daughters are able to protect right now. So, what are we doing, Ric?"

Alaric moved behind his desk, opening the lid to a pottery piece to find a key to unlock his middle drawer. Inside was the mysterious knife, which he grabbed quickly, showing it to Monica. "Luring the gargoyle away from the school."