01 | the girl who cried wolf

Walking through the cold streets of Atlanta were Ruby, Rafael and their foster brother Landon Kirby

Walking through the cold streets of Atlanta were Ruby, Rafael and their foster brother Landon Kirby. The trio were meeting their foster parents Maria and Hector at a church. Specifically, they'd requested for Rafael to meet them there, but Ruby and Landon weren't willing to leave their brother's side.

"Rafael! Seriously, it's not right." Landon spoke up, throwing his arms out in front of him as he spoke. "This does seem really strange." Ruby piped up, crossing her arms as she narrows her eyes at her twin.

"Guys.. It is what it is." Rafael responded to them, as he hoped they would drop this conversation, but he knew they wouldn't.

"Last time I heard, you're not Catholic... so why should you have to confess your sins?" Ruby asked as Landon motioned to the pink haired girl, "Exactly!" He backed her up.

"I tossed a lawnmower through the patio doors! If apologizing to God gets Hector and Maria off my back, so be it." Rafael decided as Landon and Ruby frowned and glanced at eachother.

Ruby could still remember the shattering sound of the glass, and the gasp that had escaped Maria's lips as the lawn mower had been thrown. It was certainly a strange occurrence, but Ruby wasn't sure that church would be the answer.

The trio reached the church at last, and entered the building only to meet Hector and Maria, alongside the priest, Father Pietro.

"Buenas tardes, Father Pietro." Rafael spoke to Pietro as the priest smiled back, "Buenas tardes, Rafael. Por favor, pray with me."

Hector turned to Ruby and Landon before saying with a stern smile, "You guys can leave now. It's okay, we can take it from here."

Ruby was quick to shake her head. "No. We're good, Hector. I'm staying with my twin." She decided, not budging on the idea. "Me too, we're not leaving Raf's side." Landon added, standing beside Ruby, though not as confidently.

Maria suddenly walked over to Landon and Ruby, before speaking to them in a softer voice. "Ruby, Landon, this is between your brother and God, okay?"

Rafael, sensing that Landon and Ruby weren't trusting this whole ordeal, turned to look at them. "Hey, I got it. Just wait outside." He smiled.

Ruby frowned again, as her arms fell to her side. She gave her twin one last glance, as his expression reassured her that he would be okay. "Fine." The Waithe reluctantly decided, before she turned to leave the church as Landon skeptically followed.

Once outside, Landon took a seat on the steps and began listening to music and writing in his journal as though Ruby wasn't even there.