08 | a burger would be better

After being called to join the rest of the Salvatore Stallions in doing community service for starting a fight with the other school, Monica, Hope and the Saltzman twins followed Alaric through the library as they voiced their concerns and complaints

"This makes no sense, Dad. Why are we being punished?" Lizzie was the first to ask, as she looked visibly annoyed. She had stuck up to her long time nemesis and didn't understand why she was being punished for it.

Alaric just gave his daughter an exasperated look, as though the answer should be obvious. "Because you started a brawl at a charity football game that risked exposing what we really do here!" He reminded the blonde.

"Oh come on Ric, I stuck up for Lizzie.. I shouldn't be punished." Monica insisted, feeling good about punching a bully, but Alaric didn't feel the same as he gave her a slight glare. Monica just responded with an angelic smile.

"Well, you weren't mad last night." Lizzie mumbled, taking her Dad's attention away from Monica. "I was mad last night! My undying love for my daughters just happened to trump my rage." He admitted, before he walked down the stairs towards one of the study tables and set the books down before turning to face his daughters and students. "I volunteered everyone in the game, so stop complaining. You're lucky that it's just community service and not actual jail time."

"Can I at least offer a rebuttal in my defense, if it pleases the court?" Lizzie asked as Alaric rolled his eyes before waiting for her to speak again. "First of all, I was provoked— my response was totally proportional considering the levels of abuse that I was forced to endure." She declared as Hope couldn't help but chuckle, which only upset Lizzie more.

"And secondly... If anyone should take the blame, it's Josie." Lizzie added, as Josie gave Lizzie a betrayed and offended look. "What?!"

Monica tried to stifle a laugh before she shrugged, "I'm happy to pin the blame on the not-so-innocent Saltzman." She decided, as Josie looked at the tall girl with offence, as she didn't understand why Monica didn't like her.

It wasn't that the Montgomery disliked Josie, but she always had to hear Penelope talk about how much she missed their relationship, and she would also complain about Lizzie and mention how Josie was such an angel... quite frankly the vampire was sick of hearing about it and refused to believe Josie was as angelic as Penelope made her out to be.

Seeing Josie's reaction, Lizzie instantly backpedaled,"I'm sorry. I totally cracked during cross, but if you had just let Kaleb catch the ball—" Josie scoffed before Lizzie could finish rambling. "Yeah okay..."

"You'd still be in trouble." Alaric announced, as Lizzie's expression fell. Hope seemed amused now and interjected, "But nice job throwing your sister under the bus!" Josie looked to Hope, surprised that she had stuck up for her, before she said, "Thank you, Hope."