ChApTeR - 5

Zadia couldn't stop the sleepy moan that escaped past her lips when she rolled over to her back

Zadia couldn't stop the sleepy moan that escaped past her lips when she rolled over to her back. Slowly she began gaining consciousness, her face frowning when she realized that the comfortable bed she was sleeping on, didn't belong to her. "What in the world?" She let out, watching a cat the color of midnight staring at her with a blank expression. "Oh fuck!" She shouted, realizing that the cat was black. "Why God, why?!"

In Haitian culture, a black cat is a sign of bad luck, which was why Zadia was currently having a breakdown in the comfortable queen-size mattress she laid on. She tried moving off the bed, but her right hand was tied around the bed's wooden headboard in silver handcuffs. "No, no, no." She cried, trying to pull her hand from the handcuffs. "Help! Somebody, help me!"

The black cat hissed at her, it's glowing yellow-greenish eyes burning into her soul. Zadia squeezed her eyes shut, trying not to think about the fact that it only had one ear.

"Binx, that's enough." Zadia heard a honeyed voice say, as they entered the room. The cats hissing stopped on command."Get out of here and go mess with someone else." The sound of footsteps, walking in Zadia's direction caused her to open her eyes.

"You!" She shouted, trying to yank her hands out of the handcuffs again. She looked a Roman as though he was an annoying fly that needed to be squashed. "You son of a bitch! You fucking hit me and that shit hurt!" She exasperated. "What the fuck is wrong with you?!" Zadia gasped, coming to realization. "What the fuck did you do to Abel and Tino."

Roman looked at her, trying his best not to laugh. She looked ridiculous, squirming around in the bed like that. "I think I liked it best when you were sleeping." He told her. "The kids are fine. Abel as you call him is eating downstairs. Tino on the other hand has been driving me insane. I've never met a baby that wouldn't stop crying."

"He doesn't know you, of course, he's gonna keep crying. Where is he? He's probably freaking out right now. Bring me to both of them."

"I'll let you see Tino since he's driving my ears wild. You'll see Abel once you answer all my questions. Deal?"

Zadia sighed heavily. Seeing that she didn't have a choice, in the matter. She nodded, hesitantly. "...Deal."

"I'll be back then." He said walking out the room, his hands behind his back.

Zadia looked around the unfamiliar bedroom while he was out. It was spacious compared to her room back at her apartment. The lower walls were painted soft black, while the walls of the top were ivory white. A window was posted at the center wall, large with thick white curtains to go with it. Below the window sat a cream-colored Brookside Dresser and a small flat-screen television pushed to the side. There was a plush carpet in the middle of the Porcelain Wood tile floor.

On the nightstand, there was a red digital clock on display, next to it, a matching standing lamp that lit up the entire room.

Roman carried a crying Tino up the stairs, patting his back like he used to do his sister when she was around the same age. His sister was the one and the only baby he'd ever taken care of, so his experience with babies was a little outdated. Tino was very different... he had his father's attitude which didn't sit right with Roman.