ChApTeR - 9

Because of the incident that took place, about two weeks ago, things around the house were changing

Because of the incident that took place, about two weeks ago, things around the house were changing. Roman and Adam had set up security cameras in different parts of the house, except the bathrooms and bedrooms of course. Lynn took watch more often in the night, walking through the suburban community, looking for any signs of a breach. They had to be sure that neither Cortez nor his people had tracked them back to here.

Meanwhile, Zadia was putting in more time working out and less time... being her usual self. She was more quiet and attentive, her demeanor slowly conforming to something she couldn't figure out. Her mind didn't feel like it belonged to her but instead someone else, her thoughts were consumed with all things death-related, instead of the random things she used to think about occasionally. To make matters worse, Abel was not speaking to her.

The two of them had a falling out when she came back home from that night.

Abel was mad at her for keeping him in the dark and for risking their lives, while Zadia was mad at him for not being able to understand her perspective. "It just doesn't make any sense! What you did was selfish!" He had yelled at her that night. The veins popped from his neck as he ran a hand through his dark hair. "Did you ever stop for a second and think what would've happened if they got to you, or worse if they killed you?!"

"I wasn't being selfish." Zadia groaned, her eyes closing. "I... I was doing what I thought was right at the time, for us. Why can't you get that?"

Abel huffed. "Because if you were going back there for us, you would've told me about it. You... you did it for yourself and you can't admit that."

"You know what." She clasped her hands together. "You're a child at the end of the day and I don't have to consult with you about the things that I do!" She shouted at him.

"And you're an adult I shouldn't have to tell you when you're making a stupid decision!" He shouted back.

She crossed her arms, staring at him angrily. "You know what, maybe when you grow up, and you're ready to listen we can talk about this again."

He glared at her. "Oh yeah? Well, maybe when you grow up and you and finally understand my side, we can talk about it, because until then... I'm not talking to you!"

"Fine!"

"Fine!"

He had slept on the sofa that night and continued to do so for the next few days.

Everything around the house felt tense, everyone was mad at her, including Adam. He avoided her a lot and when they were in the same room together he was quiet, making sure not to utter a word to her. She had betrayed the little trust that he had in her when she decided to do what she did and he didn't know how to handle it. Lynn on the other hand was mad at her but wasn't vocal about it. Sure, she'd make smart remarks about the incident but it wasn't anything Zadia couldn't handle.