ChApTeR - 14

Roman sat on the floor at the foot of his bed, in the dark, listening to the sound of the rain platter against his window

Roman sat on the floor at the foot of his bed, in the dark, listening to the sound of the rain platter against his window. He leaned his head down and twirled around a small jar filled with cocoa butter. He had it for over a week now and secretly kept it in his room for the hell of it. He stole it out of Zadia's room, while he was moving the small boxes from there into Lynn's truck.

After the sweepers came by and made sure the house was good to go, they were approved to move into another safe house. It would only take a week to find a new place, and for preparation Adam had everyone pack up the little things they needed from their current home and put them into storage. Everything else was to stay here and someone else would eventually do something with it.

Roman wasn't sure why he took the jar at first, whether it was to drive Zadia insane or piss her off, but he did notice that having it around made his room feel a little light. It was weird to explain but that was just how he felt.

He would eventually return the jar once they moved, but for now, it would stay in here.

Things with Zadia weren't all that awkward as he thought they would be. After their car talk, they still spoke with one another but it was strictly about Santino. That was it.
There wasn't any banter, or slickness, just bland and controlled conversations. Roman would be lying if he said he didn't miss insulting her and vice versa, but he knew it was for the best.

Everything he did was always in the interest of everyone and he would continue to do so, to keep everyone safe.

The sound of thunder rumbled through the house and Roman sighed, knowing it must've woken up his nephew. If he was up, then that meant Zadia was up too. He groaned, and stood up, but not before looking at his clock.

It was one in the morning.

Walking into his bathroom and turning on the light, Roman splashed water on his face and leaned against the sink to stare at himself. He frowned as he heard something, his head instinctively snapping towards the direction of his door. He couldn't pinpoint what the sound was, because it was low but still he heard something.

Roman's frown deepened as more thunder roared and the light in his bathroom flickered before going out. "Shit." He cursed.

The power was out.

He stayed in the bathroom a minute longer, waiting to see if the power would cut on, but when it didn't, he reached into his bathroom draw and pulled out a flashlight.

Opening the door to his room, Roman stepped out to the hallway and could feel the hair on his body raise. He clenched his jaw, frowning some more.

Something felt off.

Shutting the door to his room, he took off in the direction of the stairs, ready to investigate.

-