ChApTeR 8 Pt. 2

"I don't got this," Zadia whispered, as rain fell heavily against the car window

"I don't got this," Zadia whispered, as rain fell heavily against the car window. The sound the water made when it connected with the car, sounded like a bunch of pinballs hitting something all at once. "Come on traffic! Fucking move already!" She shouted, her hand pushing down on the car horn with force. It was a quarter past seven and the dark cloud that huddled over the sky was soon to disappear because of the night that was minutes away from appearing. Zadia had been stuck in traffic for what felt like an hour but was only twenty minutes. She was only fifteen minutes away from her old apartment and she just wanted to get there already, but the universe didn't want her to be great.

"They definitely know I'm gone by now." She said, watching the roof of other people's cars get sprayed with droplets of rain. "Should've just cut through the city, but no I always think I know best." Her hand pressed down on her car horn again, halting the car to the right of her that was trying to get into her lane. "Don't try to fucking cut in front of me, idiot!" Zadia was very... verbal when it came down to driving. She was a good driver of course and it was something she took seriously, but as soon as someone did something stupid on the road, she couldn't help but voice her opinion.

As the car in front of her started to move up, she did too, not leaving any room for the idiot that was trying to cut her off.

"Almost there." She muttered as traffic started to move along. Even though the windshield wiper helped with keeping some of the rain off the windshield, Zadia still had to squint as she drove because she couldn't see all too well. Getting off on the closet exit so she could get off the highway, she made sure to keep her pace slow. "That's better." She said, driving into the city. Seeing the city's welcome sign made her chest tighten. She'd grown up here all her life, and even though she was here a couple of days ago with Roman, it felt weird being away from home. Phoenix was her life... literally and staying over in Mesa felt weird.

It didn't feel like home.

But she had to make it feel like it was, for both Abel and Tino. Just until her name was cleared... whenever that would be.

She gulped, thinking about it. "What if my name never gets cleared?" She questioned herself. The thought of spending the rest of her life on the run was haunting. "Think happy thoughts Zadia." Her mind often thought about the bad more than the good, because truth be told, no matter how many times people try to say the opposite, it's always the bad that outweighs the good.

Or at least that's what she thought.

Zadia switched lanes and soon regretted it, once she saw what car was behind her. "Just my luck." She groaned, hands instantly getting sweaty. It was a sheriff's car, one that looked new enough to resemble a Ford Escape. Her body trembled as she tried focusing on the road, the rain not helping one bit. There were numerous reasons why she should shit her pants right now, fear settled in her, her grip on the steering wheel tightened. "God... ancestors... and whoever else is listening, please don't let me get pulled over tonight. I swear after this I'll be good, and I'll start listening more, I'll follow my instincts more and... and." She trailed on, not knowing what else to say. As she made the car come to a complete stop because of the red light, her heart started beating uncontrollably.