ChApTeR - 15

Roman woke up to light snores coming from Zadia, her face squished against his chest, while she panted softly in her sleep

Roman woke up to light snores coming from Zadia, her face squished against his chest, while she panted softly in her sleep. Lifting a finger, he flicked away two of her semi-dry locs that managed to get free from the towel wrapped around her head. His eyes flickered from her face and slowly to the visible bruises on her body. He moved his hand to touch, but stopped midway, not thinking it was a good idea.

Roman's nose wrinkled, noticing some of her drool on his side. She slept like a baby, literally. He shook his head, pushing her head off so it could fall on the pillow. Sitting upright, his legs draped over the bed and he stood up clutching the white towel around his waist, stumbling while he made his way to the bathroom.

Shutting the door, his reflection glared back at him as he opened the water faucet. "I fucked up, I know." He mumbled to himself disapprovingly. It was one thing to kiss Zadia, but allowing himself to sleep in the same bed as her was surely crossing the line. He needed a reality check and fast. Roman groaned, feeling pressure in his wounded shoulder. "I can fix this. I can fix all of this." He repeated, before shutting off the water.

Reaching over the counter, he grabbed one of the cheap toothbrushes still wrapped in plastic and opened it, before wetting it with water and plastering the strawberry flavored toothpaste onto it.

After several minutes, Roman stepped out of the bathroom feeling a tad bit better that he was able to do his hygiene routine. He glanced at Zadia who was still asleep and clenched the towel around his waist tighter. He moved to the front of the room, unlocked the door, and stepped out barefoot. Outside looked like it had seen better days, although the rain had stopped. It was around eleven in the morning, and the sky still looked gloomy.

Roman made it to the front office of the motel and entered, the door squeaking shut behind him. Ben, the owner of the motel, looked up from the television he was watching and tooted his head up at Roman. "Well don't you look like fucking shit." He remarked, his thick country accent seeping out.

"Good morning to you too," Roman replied sarcastically. "How have you been?"

"Better than you it seems." He mumbled, grabbing some things from behind his counter and setting them at the top. "You're gonna run away my remaining customers, looking the way you do." Roman stepped forward, going through the things on the counter. It was clothes and shoes for not only him, but Zadia too. "It's not much, but I figured you could use it. Hopefully, they're the right fit."

"Thank you," Roman said, sincerely.

"Mmh." The old man grumbled. "What are you doing bringing a lady around these parks anyway? Your father knew better than that."

Roman rolled his eyes. "Of course, my father did, and here was more convenient." Roman looked around. "You got any... equipment?"

Ben looked behind his counter and pulled out a heavy black container onto the top. "They're old but useful, treat them well." He said, eyes going back to the television. "Bring the lady back some of those grapes over there." He pointed across the room at a mini table. "Take whatever else you need and remember not to make a mess."