ChApTeR - 2

"I'm sorry, Ms

"I'm sorry, Ms. Hamilton but your Insurance does not cover insulin or anything related to insulin." Dr. Stewart announced to Zadia as he leaned back into his seat, both his arms crossed. It was silent in the room, so silent that the only thing you could hear making noise was the a/c. The doctor cleared his throat, hoping to break the awkwardness. "Ms. Hamilton, did you hear me?" He questioned, looking at Zadia worriedly.

"I...I heard you." Zadia started. "I'm just trying to figure out when all this happened and why wasn't I informed."

Dr. Stewart cleared his throat, yet again. "They had a policy change and it sadly took effect on the last day of the month, which was a Sunday and mail doesn't get sent out on Sundays which delayed the letter informing you on such changes." He explained. It sounded like he was reading from a bunch of note cards.

Zadia burst out laughing, she tried holding it in but just couldn't. Her doctor stared at her with wide eyes, as if she had lost her mind. "I'm sorry, I'm sorry." She apologized, trying to contain herself. She wiped some tears from her eyes. "It's just, I've wanted to die for as long as I could remember," she confessed. "And I've never had the guts to actually, you know... off myself. But here you guys go, doing it for me." She laughed some more, slapping her knees. "It's like, you guys want me dead more than I do." She couldn't stop laughing.

She got like this sometimes when she received bad news.

Pseudobulbar effect is what her old doctors used to call it.

"You've been having suicidal thoughts?" Dr. Stewart questioned.

Zadia opened her mouth to answer but quickly closed it. She had to answer this seriously, or else she could be admitted into a psychiatric hospital. "No sir, I'm sorry. It's just the news... it's a lot to handle. My mind is all over the place." She lied, hoping he bought it.

Dr. Stewart stared at her for a couple of more minutes, his face expressionless. He drummed his fingers on his desk, which was full of paperwork. "Okay, here's what I'm gonna do. I'm gonna prescribe you some antidepressants and I want you to start taking them as soon as possible and on your next visit, I want you to tell me if it's helped with your... thoughts." He said, before casually opening his desk drawer and pulling out a prescription script. He dribbled his signature on it, before lifting it up and passing it to Zadia.

Zadia looked at the small green sheet of paper in his hand and chuckled. "Does my insurance cover this?" She asked, taking it from his hand.

Her doctor nodded. "Yes, they cover it fully." He stated.

"Of course they'd cover this fully." She said to herself. "What about my insulin and other supplies, how am I supposed to get those before I run out?"

"Well, for now, we'll put you on a list and from there on, I'd advise you to call your insurance office and see if they could give you more information about this whole thing and on their policy change."