ChApTeR - 11

Zadia hated the heat

She hated how small heat bumps would form around her upper arm, and how she'd sweat so much it drenched her clothes. Today of all days she despised the sun, hating how it was scorching hot, with no chances of rain.

Zadia tried her best to keep her eyes lined up with the empty glass bottles that were a great distance from where she stood, her fingers wrapped around some gun she forgot the name of. She squinted her eyes, biting down on her tongue lightly. When she thought she was ready, she pulled the trigger and as the gun sounded off, she flinched at the sound. "Damn it!" She shouted frustrated, noticing that the glass bottle she was aiming at was still intact. This was her eighth time in a row missing. "Roman I can't do this!"

"Well then, try again. You're not leaving here until you hit all of the bottles." Roman said, sitting behind her on his oversized folding chair. He was shirtless, his glasses shielding his eyes so that the sun wouldn't irritate them. Sweat slid down from his body as he fanned himself with his hand. "Get a move on with it, it's hotter than satan's ass out here."

Rolling her shoulders back, she looked at him. "Of course you'd be the one to know how hot satan's ass can get." She pointed the gun near the ground. "Why'd you even choose this damn place for us to practice? We're literally in the middle of nowhere!" The both of them were in the woods, a deep part where people rarely came. Getting to this side was a long drive and walk. "We can get lost out here and you'd be the last person I'd ever see. Do you know how traumatizing that is?!"

Roman picked up the cold water bottle he had packed in the small cooler, the droplets from the bottle dripping onto his chest and thighs. "All I'm hearing coming out of your mouth right now is complaining. I didn't bring you here for that, I brought you here to shoot." He pointed over to the glass bottles, stretching his arms. "Therefore, get to shooting."

Running a hand through her locs, Zadia looked back at the bottles. She thought about the distance and then shook her head. "I've got no range. It's hard to shoot this far." She explained. "It's easier if I'm closer."

"That's why we're out here, so you can learn. You can't just do something because it's easier."

Looking down at the gun, she rolled her eyes. "Okay, motivational speaker." She sarcastically said. "I still can't shoot this far." She placed her left hand on her hips and frowned at him. "Aren't you the one that's supposed to be teaching me, as soon as we got here you just got comfortable in your chair and started reading?" She glanced at the book in his hand. "The Zombie Room is a really good read, by the way."

Roman shut the book, placing it on top of the cooler. "For a person who claims they don't have time to do anything, you sure do read a lot." He mumbled and stood up, stretching his legs. He tilted his neck back and forth, cracking it. Walking over to Zadia, he took the gun out of her hand carefully and stood to the left of her. "You can shoot at this range, you've just got a blockage."