ChApTeR - 11 Pt. 2

Contrary to what Zadia said about the both of them staying up, she had fallen asleep around two in the morning

Contrary to what Zadia said about the both of them staying up, she had fallen asleep around two in the morning. Her eyes had shut and as she drifted off into whatever dreams awaited her, her head had slumped, using Roman's arm as a pillow. Roman was uncomfortable by the sudden closeness, his stomach turning as he pushed lightly on the side of her head to get her to move. Although that did work, it would only last a short moment before her head would come back down onto his shoulder.

Roman huffed deeply and eventually allowed it to stay there, his uncomfortableness disappearing, slowly. As he spent the night paying attention to their dark and secluded surroundings, he looked at Zadia way more than he wanted to admit. He couldn't explain it, but she looked weird when she slept...

He shook his head, not pondering the topic any longer. He had more important things to think about, one being finding water and food. Hypothetically speaking they could survive weeks without food, but that's only if they had water. Seeing as Zadia is diabetic, their weeks would decrease to days. She could go four days max without any food and two... maybe even three days without water.

Roman leaned further down so he could rest his head on the large and fairly dry log. While he stared at the flickering stars, he could hear the faint sound of crickets and many other noisy insects. And although it was brief, Roman heard the coyotes howling. They were so loud he thought it would wake Zadia, but she didn't bulge. He scratched his face a lot, due to the mosquito bites. They were having a field day with him, and upon realizing this, he raised the blanket over Zadia's head so they couldn't get to her.

The pain in his head wasn't as bad as before, but he could still hear the ringing in his ears and couldn't see as much in his right eye. This prompted him to shut his eyes on several different occasions and press his fingers to his ears, hoping to find some relief. He'd timed himself, counting up to one hundred and then flashing the flashlight throughout the trees to keep any animals that were lurking away.

This would go on until six-thirty in the morning when the sun began to rise. He waited a while, just in case to shut off the flashlight for good. Reaching into his pocket, he grabbed the floss packet that he usually always carried on him and began flossing. It irked him that he couldn't brush his teeth, especially since brushing his teeth was the highlight of his mornings. He felt like a kid again, living on the streets and trying to make ends meet.

When he finished flossing, he moved the blanket and placed a hand on Zadia's warm shoulder, and shook her awake. "Gotdamn, do you have to be so rough?" She muttered groggily, snuggling into his arm. She was so sleepy and couldn't fathom doing anything but sleep.

"It's time to get up," Roman told her, shaking her off him. "We've gotta keep moving."

"Ten more minutes." She tried to reason.