ChApTeR - 4

Zadia paced around her apartment, trying to keep calm

Zadia paced around her apartment, trying to keep calm. It had been three weeks since the baby was left at her door and she was still... adjusting. It was Tuesday now, and she was freaking out. She was on schedule to start work at noon today, but she didn't have anyone to watch Santino or Tino for short. She came up with the nickname when she was changing his diaper, and it just sorta stuck. She liked the name Tino for him; it fit him well, but Abel reminded her every day that the nickname was basic.

Truthfully, because of the money that was left in Eliśa's apartment, Zadia didn't want to go back to work. She did her math and mapped out two sets of outcomes. If she kept working, she'd continue to save and if she stopped working, she'd had to count on Eliśa to continue sending money. And the problem with that was, she didn't know if Eliśa was reliable.

But finding someone to watch a baby in her neighborhood was impossible. Sure, there were daycares and the local nana that babysat for a good price, but the daycares would ask for certain papers, and nana... well, let's just say she wasn't necessarily professional. She used her place to smuggle drugs, and that didn't sit right with Zadia.

Then of course there was Abel, who had been stopping by every day after school to hang out. He'd help with Tino before jumping into homework and then leaving just before the sunset. Zadia appreciated all he did, but she couldn't help but feel guilty sometimes. Like she was making him miss out on the rest of his life even though Abel kept telling her otherwise.

Zadia knew if she'd called him he'd skip whatever period he was in at school and come straight to her. But she wouldn't do that, because he needed his education.

"What do you think I should do, Tino?" She asked the baby, waiting on a response. Tino stared at her with wide hazel eyes, clueless as ever. "Seriously? No response, I thought babies loved pouring out wisdom into the world." The baby tilted his head as he watched her silently. Zadia palmed her face. "I can't believe I'm even trying to engage in a conversation with you, after the hell, you put me through last night."

She barely got any sleep last night, because Tino kept crying. It amazed her how he'd go the whole morning and afternoon without crying, but then cry constantly within the night. Babies were a handful, and she applauded anyone that had one because caring for them was hard.

She figured that the only reason he cried at night was because he missed his mother.

Zadia walked over to the counter and picked up her phone, searching for her boss's number. When she found it, she dialed the number and waited for him to answer. "This is Bryan." He spoke gruffly.

Zadia cleared her throat. "Hi, Mr. Taylor, it's me Zadia."

"What do you want?" He asked rudely. "Matter of fact, weren't you supposed to be here?"

Zadia rolled her eyes. "That's actually what I'm calling about. I was wondering if it was possible if I could switch places with one of the later afternoon workers. Something has come up and I'm afraid I won't be able to make it at my scheduled time.