Chapter 75 | "back at last"

"Wow, it's been so long since we've been at the academy." Taeyong says as he and Jihyun make breakfast for the others. About three weeks have passed since the incident with Jeno and the gang has returned to normal.

"I know! I'm excited to go back at last. I heard that Chan and Hongjoong have been doing a great job running everything."

"Yeah it'll be nice to see the students and how they've progressed. From the reports, it seems like we might be getting some new gangs, hmm?"

"Maybe. They've got another, what, four months until their final chance? I'm sure they'll be ready by or before then."

The two pick up the large trays of food and bring them into the dining room, laying them out on the table where all the members are officially gathered.

"Ok guys, eat up quick because after this we're heading back to the academy. With four months left to see if we're going to be adding any new teams, it's time we all go back again." Jihyun says as she takes a seat next to Jaemin.

"That's so exciting! I can't wait to go back and see everyone." Chenle says from across the table, scooping some scrambled eggs onto his plate.

"I know! And we're officially NCT members now! How cool is that!" Jisung says from next to him, an excited smile on his face.

"That's true, you guys can officially brag to all of your old friends now." She says with a laugh as they continue their meal.

- - -

"Knock knock" Jaemin leans against her doorway, dressed in all black with his NCT jacked on, his fluffy blonde hair slightly pushed back by his green bandana.

"Hey there, that jacket suits you well." She says, turning to look at him. She's dressed simply in a pair of high waisted black shorts and a cropped tank top, her bandana wrapped around her wrist.

"Yeah you like it?" He turns in circles, posing for dramatic effect.

"Eh I think it looks better on Sungchan actually."

"I'm kidding!" She exclaims when she sees Jaemin's jaw drop.

"Let's get going, I'll drive." He says, grabbing her hand and pulling her out of the room.

- - -

The students all begin to whisper among themselves when the members of NCT enter. Jihyun leads them through the hallways of students, all of them staring straight forward with cold expressions, announcing the return of the kings of the school.

"Hey guys!" Hongjoong says, standing with all the other leaders once NCT enters the main meeting room. "It's great to have you back. How've you been?"

"It's been pretty hectic." Jihyun answers with a small laugh. "But we thought it was time to return to the academy, though I've heard that you and Chan have been doing a great job with everything."

She walks over to where the leaders of Ateez and Stray Kids are sitting together, hugging the four of them quickly before taking a seat. Taeyong approaches with a smile, dipping his head to each of them as he slides into the seat next to them.

"Thanks for handling this place while we were gone, I know it must not have been easy." Jihyun starts, looking between the others.

"It hasn't been too bad. 18 of the 27 are still alive and going strong. From what I've seen, we're probably going to have some new additions well before their final elimination." Chan says with a smile.

"That's great! With four months to prepare, I'm sure they'll all be ready."

"How are you Ji? Last we saw you, you were knocked out cold in a hospital bed." San says with a laugh.

"And from what we've heard, there's been other incidents too?" Felix adds on, looking at her with concern.

"Yeah we had another run in with some Bangtan allies, but everything's ok now. I'm doing really good, actually." She says with a shy smile, glancing over to Jaemin who was busy introducing himself to ITZY.

"What's that face?" Chan says slyly, "we're glad to hear you're doing well...but we've also heard that you have... a boyfriend? Is it true?"

Jihyun and Taeyong shared a shocked glance. She turned and locked eyes with Felix who had a big smile on his face.

"Chenle?"

"Chenle." The Australian boy chucked back with a nod.

"Of course." She laughs out, rolling her eyes.

"So is it true?"

"....maybe?"

"OH. MY. GOD." San exclaims, causing the others in the room to turn to look at their table.

"Shhhhhh. Don't just go and shout it out!" She says with a slightly embarrassed whisper.

"No that's exactly what we're gonna do." Felix says, standing and climbing onto his seat.

"Hey everybody! Guess what? JIHYUN HAS A BOYFRIEND!" There's a pause, everyone turning to stare at her.

The room erupts into chaos. Jihyun buried her head in her hands as a million questions come flying towards her. All the members laughing as the leaders fall into a shouting frenzy.

"Who is it?"

"When did this come up?"

"Is he a member of NCT?"

"How long have you been together?"

"What's it like?"

"How did it happen?"

She just stood up from her seat, walking over to Jaemin, grabbing his hand and dragging him with her to the front of the room. She raised a hand and instantly everyone fell silent.

"Ok. Yes I have a boyfriend and yes, this is him." She said shyly gesturing to Jaemin who just waved to the crowd of mafia leaders as she tried to his herself behind him.

"Hi! In case you don't remember me, my name is Jaemin and i was one of her ace trainees before being accepted into NCT a while ago." He said with a confident smile pulling Jihyun to stand in front of him and back-hugging her, his chin resting on top of her head.

"When did you two start dating?"

"About three weeks ago." Jaemin replies with a smile. "I confessed to her and she agreed to be my girlfriend." The two share a fond look as the small crowd coos at the new couple.

"Yes we stan!" Donghyuck calls from the back, causing the whole room to laugh.

Jihyun turns back to look at the crowd, making brief eye contact with Jeno, who has a pained expression on his face. She turns away quickly, clearing her throat to address the crowd once again.

"Alright, for today we are just here to observe. We'll be filtering through your classes in pairs to see the progress that has been made in these last few months. Class starts in 15 minutes so NCT, pair up, and the rest of you head to class." The leaders quickly gather their things snd leave the room as the members begin to pair up.

"So Hyunnie, want to be my partner?" Jaemin says, nudging her in the side with a smile.

"Sorry, actually I was gonna be with Yangyang today."

"Oh..."

"I'm just messing with you, dummy." She said, lightly ruffling his hair.

"Aw man...."

"Sorry Yangyang! Next time!" She turns away from the Chinese boy back to her boyfriend.

"Of course I'll be your partner, Jaem." He smiled at her, pulling her in for a light hug and planting a kiss on her temple.

She blushed at his action, her heartbeat intensifying. Despite having been together for a few weeks, they still haven't kissed. She knew it was only a matter of time as Jaemin was getting increasingly bold but she was still too scared and unsure of herself to initiate anything.

"Come on, let's go!"