Chapter 46 | "great minds"

"So how are you adjusting to gang life?" Jihyun asked, trying to distract him from the painful tattoo she was drawing on him.

"Pretty good, Yangyang showed me around yesterday. The head quarters is pretty massive."

"Hmm" she nodded in response, smiling at him and giving his skin a break from the needle. "once you're all tatted up, we're going to need to think of unit assignments and who your partners will be."

"Partners?" he asked skeptically, wincing slightly as she continued with the tattoo.

"Yeah, all of us have mission partners, unless specified other wise in special cases. We always stick by our partners so one of us is never isolated." She explains happily.

"Well, who's available?" Jeno asked, curiously staring at her.

"Well, technically right now everyone has a partner, we're at an even number since Ten always stays home."

"Can I ask who the partners are?"

"Well, Sungchan and I have been partners for the past few months since I trained him and was helping him through missions, showing him what the ace role is, -"

"What is the ace role?" he cuts her off.

"Basically the aces are Sicheng and I, and now also Sungchan, but since we're technically the most skilled or well-rounded, we're always assigned the most dangerous part of the mission and are always the last ones to leave a mission site, meaning our partners are often instructed to leave us alone as we do a final sweep together." Jeno nods his head in understanding.

"Since Sungchan was new, but showed the skills of an ace, I partnered with him to show him what to do, but I think he's ready to be on his own, meaning I'll be paired up with one of you guys!" she says happily.

"Do you guys know who will be partners yet?" Jeno asked, an excited smile on his face.

"Not yet, we have to rearrange some stuff first. Johnny and Jaehyun were partners, so Jae's free. I'm also free, same with Sungchan but I'll probably put him with Jae. Ten and Jisung are going to be partners, I've already decided since Jisung will be staying here and helping with hacking."

"How do you decide who the rest of us are going to be with?"

"You guys basically have to go through one more test. Each of you will partner with me to give everyone a chance to observe your fighting styles and then we'll match you. I hope you've kept up with training because that test will be tomorrow." she said with a smile.

"Uh, I think I'll be ok" he said, flexing his ab muscles with a smile. Jihyun's eyes widened, a blush coming to her face as she tried to focus on finishing up the tattoo. "What? Distracting you?" Jeno asked with a cocky smirk. She put her needle down and turned to look at him.

"And what if you are?" she stared back at him with an amused smile, seeing him get flustered.

"I- uh, um, well..."

"Gotcha." she laughs out, standing up, "go ahead and take a look, your tattoo is done."

Jeno stood up from the chair, walking over to the mirror while Jihyun turned off the machines. He marveled at the small drawing, smiling to himself.

"like it?" she said, standing next to his chair. He turned around, walking up to her with a smile.

"it's perfect." he said, hugging her.

"Hey Ji, are you- whats going on here." Taeyong walked into the room, seeing a shirtless Jeno hugging Jihyun. The two split apart, turning to look at Taeyong.