Chapter 35 | "I'd love to"

"Of course, Jaemin, I'd love to" she says with a smile. She nods to Jaehyun before taking Jaemin's hand, the two walking to the dance floor together.

Jeno watches angrily as Jaemin rests his hands on her waist. She slides her own hands around his neck as they sway to the slow music. The pair stare at each other happily, lost in their own world as they move to the music.

"Thanks for saving me a dance" Jaemin says with a wink.

"Wouldn't miss it for the world." She says with a smile. "Sorry we haven't talked tonight, I got caught up with Jeno for a while and it seems as though the whole mafia wants to talk." She laughs out, Jaemin humming in agreement.

"It's alright as long as I get to have this dance with you" he stares at her with warmth in his eyes, causing a slight blush to appear on her cheeks. They look at one another in comfortable silence, Jaemin feels his heart rate increasing rapidly.

"I'm sure you've heard this a lot tonight, but you look absolutely gorgeous." Jaemin whispers out, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear. She just dips her head with a smile on her face as her cheeks burn bright red.

"Sorry if I stole you away from your date tonight" Jaemin says, a hint of bitterness in his tone.

"Jaehyun? Oh no. We're not together, just as friends. He just didn't want me to have to come alone." She says with a small giggle. Jaemin feels his shoulders relax as he lets out a sigh of relief, the sparkle returning to his eyes.

"But what about you, handsome? I'm sure there's tons of girls who'd be dying to be asked out by you." She says, her smile faltering for a moment. He just shakes his head in response.

"They don't appeal to me, especially now that I know you. No one can compare to you, Jang Jihyun." He says, staring into her eyes with a serious expression, a soft smile on his face as he gently runs his hand along her jawline. She looks away shyly, unable to hold his gaze. He smirks to himself, seeing that he flustered her.

As the music changes to another slow song, he takes the opportunity to spin her around, catching her off guard. She feels as though she might fall but Jaemin secures her, spinning her skillfully before reaching his arm around her back and dipping her gently.

He pulls her up, his arms securely around her waist as he pulls her closer to him, their bodies now pressed closer to one another. Her hands slide back around his shoulders as her cheeks flare at their closeness.

"Well aren't you smooth." She says, impressed by his dancing.

"4 years of forced ballroom dance classes as a kid has its benefits" The two laugh, remaining close as they continue to talk and dance with one another.

They waltz by Yeji who's dancing with her twin Hyunjin. Jihyun let's out a small laugh as she notices Yeji trying to discreetly step on his feet, Hyunjin looking at her with a pained expression. Noticing Jaemin, Yeji wiggles her eyebrows before the siblings waltz away.

Back at the tables, Jaehyun is fuming watching Jihyun and Jaemin. He feels the jealousy flowing through his whole body. After seeing Jaemin dip her and holding her close, Jaehyun snaps. He abruptly stands up from the table to walk over but an arm stops him.

He turns to see Taeyong staring at him with a stern glare, forcing him back into his seat.

"Let her enjoy herself. Don't go and ruin another moment for her." Taeyong growls out, a threatening look in his eyes.

"She's shouldn't waste her time with these stupid students" Jaehyun replies lowly.

"From what I heard, you're here as friends, aren't you? Are you sure you don't have feelings for her?"

"Feelings? For Jihyun? No. Of course not. It's just that someone like her shouldn't be dancing with just some random student."

"Whatever you say, Jae. But if you wanted to step in, you should've done something earlier. you're not going to ruin her moment." Taeyong says, tightening his grip on Jaehyun's arm.

"She can't end up with a student, she should be with-"

"Jaehyun they're not even together for gods sake!" Taeyong exclaims in frustration.

"Well he obviously likes her. Him and that other boy." Jaehyun says angrily.

"Yeah well at least he was man enough to ask her to dance." Taeyong scoffs, causing Jaehyun to turn to him, anger flaring in his eyes.

"What did you say?"

"Look, Jaehyun, I'm not one to tell you how to feel or how to deal with your emotions, but I will not let you go over there and hurt her. if you keep acting like this with no one to stop you, you're going to lose her forever." Taeyong stands up and walks away, leaving Jaehyun alone to painfully watch as the pair on the dance floor.

As the last song comes to a close, Jaemin and Jihyun stop moving, simply staring into each other's eyes as the other couples slowly begin to make their way off the dance floor.

"You're a different kind of amazing, Hyunnie." Jaemin breathes out. She smiles at him, a unknown feeling making her stomach churn and her whole body feel hot at his words.

He steps away from her, gently grabbing her hand and placing a kiss on it.

"I look forward to our next dance. See you tomorrow." He says sweetly.

She nods in response before he turns away and walks back to his friends. Jaemin has a bright smile on his face, a slight blush on his cheeks as he tries to calm his rapid heart beat. Jisung, Chenle, and Renjun are smiling at their friend, having watched the whole thing and seeing how happy he is.

Jeno on the other hand is furious. Glaring at the blonde boy with so much anger that you'd think Jaemin had just killed somebody. Jaemin feels Jeno's glare burning into him, but chooses to ignore it, basking in his feelings of happiness.

Jihyun turns back and walks over to Jaehyun, who's standing by their table.

"Ready to go?" She says cheerily, linking arms with him. He silently nods, a pained smile on his face as they leave the auditorium.

When they sit down in the car, there's a tense silence between the two of them.

"Have fun tonight, Jihyun?" Jaehyun says, breaking the silence. He tries to hide the jealousy in his voice but Jihyun still hears it.

"Please don't start this now, Jae. Tonight has been perfect and I really don't want to fight with you." She says, pleading with him. He take a deep breath, rolling his shoulders back.

"Ok, I'm sorry. It's fine, I'm glad you enjoyed yourself" he says, reaching over to grab her hand, giving it a warm squeeze.

Jihyun relaxes at his touch, a small smile coming back into her face.

"Thanks Jae"