Chapter 9 | "finally grown up"

Hongjoong starts his class by reviewing fighting techniques before telling them that they will be sparing one another for the rest of class, in preparation for the upcoming final sort next month. He walks over to a jar on the table, picking two names out of it and then calling the students into the ring. Jihyun watches carefully, taking note of a few standout students, generally impressed with all of the student's progress.

"Alright" Hongjoong announces as a fight finishes up. "Last pairing, Jisung and Youngjin." The two boys stand up. Jihyun recognizes Jisung as the tall, skinny boy who almost ran into her on the first day. She was surprised to see someone so seemingly timid in level 1. The other boy, Youngjin, was much bigger than Jisung. They were of equal height, but Youngjin was obviously more built.

"Ok boys, think about what we've gone over in class, and remember: we're sparring. I don't want to see anyone injured today." The two nod at their teacher before taking their places in the ring. Jihyun sees the confidence in both of their eyes as they face one another.

"Ready? Begin."

The two circle around, both waiting for the other to make the first move. Jisung lunges first, jabbing at Youngjin a few times before backing up. Youngjin swings at Jisung, knocking him to the side, but he swerves out of the way before Youngjin can land another hit, using that to strike the bigger boy in the back. Jihyun looks at Hongjoong before sharing an approving nod. He's very fast and light on his feet, despite being less muscular.

The two continue to circle one another, Youngjin landing a few hard hits on the boy, but Jisung being to quick to do any real damage. Youngjin swings again, spinning around as Jisung hops in circles around him, causing Youngjin to trip and fall on his ass. Jihyun can't help but let out a little chuckle, along with the rest of the students.

Youngjin's face becomes red, looking briefly at his laughing peers before fixing his gaze on Jisung, a new darkness to his eyes. He pushes himself off of the ground and lunges at Jisung, forgetting all tactical training and knocking him to the floor with pure force. Youngjin pins him down with his body weight before drawing back his arm and punching the other boy, a crack echoing around the room, causing Jihyun and the others to gasp.

"That's enough, Youngjin." Hongjoong orders, but Youngjin doesn't stop. He continues to punch the younger boy's face. Despite the blood now flowing from Jisungs nose and lips, Youngjin keeps going. Jihyun and Hongjoong stand up from their seats, as Hongjoong shouts again. "Youngjin, I said stop!" He ignores Hongjoong, blinded by rage and embarrassment.

Jihyun and Hongjoon begin to make their way to the ring to stop the fight but someone else beats them too it. One of the students shoots up from their seat, running to the ring and hopping over the barrier. He runs up to the pair and shoves Youngjin off of the younger boy, kicking him hard in the jaw before sitting down next to Jisung. He helps the bloodied boy sit up, quickly asking him if he's ok.

"Jaemin! What do you think you are doing? Students are never to interfere in a fight!" Hongjoong angrily yells at the boy as both he and Jihyun climb into the ring. Jaemin turns his gaze, staring at Jihyun with a mix of fear and determination in his gaze.

"I'm sorry... but he's my friend." Jaemin speaks quietly, not breaking Jihyun's gaze.

"I don't care that he's your friend. In this world, friends don't matter, you don't ever inter-" Jihyun raises her hand, cutting Hongjoong off. She walks over to the pair, quickly bending down to examine the bloodied boy, everyone in the room bracing themselves for more bloodshed and a lecture on weakness.

"Are you okay?" She asks him, causing him to quickly nod at her as everyone else stared at her in astonishment. "No dizziness or black spots in your vision?" He once again shakes his head.

"Just, uh, the blood, obviously, and my face hurts" he manages to laugh out, wincing slightly while doing so. Jihyun looks at him with sympathy.

"Why don't I have San take you to see Twice. They'll give you some ice for your nose and clean you up." She stands up, offering her hand to Jisung. He gladly takes it and stands with the help of Jaemin. She motions to San, the two sharing a sad, knowing smile, before he escorts Jisung out of the classroom.

She turns back to look at Jaemin as he faces her after watching Jisung and San leave the room.

"He's going to be okay." She breathes out, him letting out a small sigh before nodding his head.

"I'm sorry. I-I promise I won't do it again." He stutters out, the fear of Jihyun's punishment starting to show in his eyes.

"No." She responds.

"No?" He asks fearfully.

"No. Don't be sorry." She speaks lightly, "He's your friend, one day you might lose him, hell, one day you might even have to kill him. And if it ever comes to that, I'd expect you to do so." She gives him a pointed look before continuing.

"But today, he's not the enemy. You protect your friends while you have them. If this was a real fight, I'd hope you jump in to help your teammate." She speaks gently, placing a reassuring hand on his shoulder. He looks at her in awe, a grateful smile on his face as he nods at her.

"But don't disobey your teachers, okay?" He quickly nods at her again. She smiles at him. "You did good. Go check up on him later." He bows to her, mumbling a quick 'thank you' before hurrying back to his seat.

She turns to face Hongjoong, who's staring at her with a proud smile on his face. She walks over to stand in front of him.

"Sorry to contradict you, but...I know the feeling of wanting to protect those you love." She whispers before he shakes his head at her.

"I'm not mad at all. It looks like you've finally grown up." He chuckles at her before they hear a groan from the other boy on the mat. "What do you want to do about him?" The two look at Youngjin, his jaw set at a strange angle with Jisung's blood covering his hands.

"He hurt another student, let his emotions drive him to attack a teammate and friend. If someone hadn't stepped in, I don't know if he would've stopped." Hongjoong spoke lowly, looking at Jihyun for direction.

"In this world, your teammates are all you ever have. There's enough people trying to kill you without having to worry about one of your own stabbing you in the back." She whispers out.

She rolls her neck and cracks her knuckles, a dark smirk making it's way to her face before turning to face the boy, sliding a long, thin knife from her sleeve.

"I might've grown up a bit, but I'm still a killer, aren't I?"

———
Ugh I go back to school tmrw :/ anyway here's Jaemin 👀
Don't forget to vote and comment!